Challenging Thermodynamics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a cubical vessel with a small hole in one of its walls containing air at atmospheric pressure and temperature. The vessel is surrounded by a higher temperature. The goal is to find the amount of gas in moles in the vessel at a given time, using the ideal gas equation and the first law of thermodynamics. The solution involves assuming constant pressure and using integration to account for the varying rates of temperature and number of moles. This question is at a senior secondary level and it may be helpful to seek assistance in the Advanced Physics forum.
f(x)
«Challenging» Thermodynamics Problem

Homework Statement

Consider a cubical vessel of edge a, having a small hole in one of its walls. The total thermal resistance of the wall is [itex] \varphi [/itex] [itex] \mbox{At time} \ t=0 [/itex], it contains air at atmospheric pressure [itex] p_a [/itex] and temperature [itex] \theta_0 [/itex]The temperature of the surrounding is [itex] \theta_a ( > \theta_0 ) [/itex] Find the amount of gas in moles in the vessel at time t. Take [itex] C_v = \frac{5R}{2} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex] dQ=dW+dU [/tex]
[tex]dQ= \frac{i_{th}}{\varphi} [/tex]
[tex]
PV=nR \theta \mbox{ideal gas eqn} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed pressure to be constant throughout the problem.
[tex] P=P_a [/tex]
Initially,
[tex] i_{th} = \frac{\theta_a - \theta_0}{\varphi} [/tex]
Now since volume and pressure both are constant,
PV=const.
or,
[itex]nRd\theta + R\theta dN = 0[/itex]

[itex] \frac{d\theta}{\theta} = -\frac{dn}{n} [/itex]

Now i try to apply first law, which gives,
[tex] \frac{\theta_a - \theta}{\varphi} dt = nC_vd\theta + \theta C_v n [/tex] where [itex] \theta\ is\ temperature \ at\ time \ t[/itex]
But since these rates are also varying, i have no idea how to continue. Specially if someone could throw light on the integration part.
Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what level is this question?

eaboujaoudeh said:
what level is this question?
Senior secondary

Any1 got an idea?

Long time...if any1 knows a tactic for this do tell :cry:

Mabye you should try posting this in the Advanced Physics forum instead?

1. What is a challenging thermodynamics problem?

A challenging thermodynamics problem is a complex and difficult question or scenario that requires the application of thermodynamic principles and concepts to solve. These problems often involve multiple variables and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills to arrive at a solution.

2. Why are thermodynamics problems considered challenging?

Thermodynamics problems are considered challenging because they involve the study of energy and its transformation, which can be very abstract and complex. Additionally, these problems often require the use of advanced mathematical equations and models, making them difficult to solve without a strong understanding of thermodynamics.

3. How can I approach a challenging thermodynamics problem?

To approach a challenging thermodynamics problem, it is important to first understand the fundamental concepts and laws of thermodynamics. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem to identify the relevant variables and determine the appropriate equations to use. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to check your work as you go.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving challenging thermodynamics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving challenging thermodynamics problems include using incorrect equations, not considering all of the relevant variables, and not properly converting units. It is also important to carefully check your work and ensure that your final answer makes physical sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving challenging thermodynamics problems?

To improve your skills in solving challenging thermodynamics problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with various thermodynamic equations and their applications can also be helpful. Working through a variety of problems and checking your work can also aid in improving your skills and understanding of thermodynamics.