Triple Integral with Exponential and Radical Functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the triple integral of a complicated function and the limits of integration being from negative infinity to infinity. One person is asking for help while another suggests using spherical coordinates and the conversation ends with the problem being solved easily after changing variables.
HclGuy

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int\int\int\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}e^{-x^2-y^2-z^2}dxdydz[/tex]
The limits of integration for all 3 variables are from -infinity to infinity.

Homework Equations

This one has me completely stumped, so I'm just wondering if someone could push me in the right direction in how to solve this one. I thought about maybe finding a suitable substitution for the region of integration but I'm not sure at how that might work.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HclGuy said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int\int\int\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}e^{-x^2-y^2-z^2}dxdydz[/tex]
The limits of integration for all 3 variables are from -infinity to infinity.

Hi HclGuy! :smile:

Hint: change the variables of integration from x y and z to … ? :smile:

Are you hinting towards spherical coordinates...?
I'm going to try that out.. Thanks

becomes trivial once you change variables

Thanks guys, got it now.

1. What is a challenging triple integral?

A challenging triple integral is a mathematical calculation that involves integrating a three-dimensional function over a specified volume. It is considered challenging because it requires advanced mathematical skills and techniques to solve.

2. What makes a triple integral challenging?

A triple integral can be challenging for a few reasons. One reason is the complexity of the function being integrated, which may involve multiple variables and complicated equations. Another reason is the shape of the volume being integrated, which may require using different coordinate systems and limits of integration.

3. How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A triple integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves integrating over a three-dimensional volume, rather than a one-dimensional interval. This means that instead of finding the area under a curve, a triple integral finds the volume under a surface.

4. What are some strategies for solving a challenging triple integral?

Some strategies for solving a challenging triple integral include using symmetry to simplify the integral, changing the order of integration, and breaking up the volume into smaller, more manageable regions. It may also be helpful to use software or calculators to assist with the calculation.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving challenging triple integrals?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in solving challenging triple integrals is to work through a variety of problems and seek guidance from a math expert or tutor. Additionally, studying and understanding the underlying concepts and techniques used in triple integration will also help in improving your skills.