Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Champ [ the US Loch Ness Monster ] caught on tape?

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Champ ["the US Loch Ness Monster"] caught on tape?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1648547&page=1

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2
    That's definitely very interesting. Too bad the resolution of the video feed isn't all that great.

4. Feb 24, 2006 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

interesting footage (from what I saw on TV...didn't try the link)...but it looked more squid-like than plesiosaur-like.

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4
    Remarkable. The "creature" seems to like the fishermans boat, or at least not too afraid of it. I wonder if there is going to be any serious investigation, like with using sonar.

6. Feb 24, 2006 #5
    I believe this could very well be a real or 'new' species. But with all the sitings of these types of things (sea monsters, forest monsters), why can't we come up with a body? I don't doubt the possibility, but I just wish there could be more evidence. Shame the tape didn't produce the best results of what the fishermen saw.

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6
    I would love it if they found a new species that fit the bill of lake monsters. However, I bet this was just one of those huge sturgeon.

8. Feb 26, 2006 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I don't buy into the plesiosaur theory- through a lot of recent time the site loch ness was under a km or two of ice, and probably wasn't a lake pre-glaciation. Anything that lives there has to be a recent arrival. I'm not familiar with Champ, but I suspect the same might be true there.

9. Feb 27, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One would think, but it is odd that two experienced fishermen say that they are 100% certain of what they saw, but not what it is...? That and the video sure make it tempting to hope for more.

I guess it could just be a sturgeon that is so large that they were fooled. When one is expecting a certain scale [no pun intended], something much larger or smaller than expected can fool your vision. It seems that I've had this happen with ordinary objects that looked very odd for a moment.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  10. Feb 27, 2006 #9
    There is an interesting theory that Nessie was/is actually a giant squid that got stuck in the loch somehow.
    The question is: Which is more likely? An ancient creature of which there has been no confirmed sighting? or a salt water cephelapod adapting instantaniously enough to live in fresh water?

In the interview didn't they say that they were positive it was not a sturgeon? Apparently it didn't have the fins that would have identified it as such?

11. Feb 27, 2006 #10

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Understood. Perhaps cryptozoologists should look for a new species of freshwater squid rather than a plesiosaur. Less exciting, I suppose. :smile: I'm not too familiar with the Lake. Any easy access routes to salt water? Canals?

Whatever it is, and if it indeed the same type of creature being sighted over these many years, it would need a large breeding population to still be around. Makes it harder to conclude that huge, ancient creatures are still present.

12. Feb 28, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any real bias in the explanation probably results more from the descriptions given, and hoaxes, rather than a desire to make it out as more than it is by those with a sincere scientific interest. But plesiosaur shirts probably do sell better than freshwater squid shirts, or greatly-deformed-sturgeon shirts, I would expect.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  13. Mar 30, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The video in the original story wasn't working and I happened to notice that it came up through another source. Not a website that I visit or would otherwise allow as a source, but a link came up in a news headline. The linked site uses the original video report from ABC News.
    http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/abc-champ/

14. May 28, 2008 #13

baywax

Gold Member

15. May 28, 2008 #14
    That looked like a otter to me. I see them all the time on the lake near my cabin.

16. May 28, 2008 #15

rbj

maybe a beaver. i live on North Cove Road in Burlington VT and i s'pose i miss all sorts of stuff underwater when i go canoeing. but sometimes i see something and usually it's an agressive fish or beaver or something coming to the surface.

17. May 28, 2008 #16
    Champ is a very American name.

18. May 28, 2008 #17
    Well except its too long to be a beaver, and it has a Otter tail and head. Notice the way it pulls its head out of the water to have a look around, Otters do this all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  19. May 28, 2008 #18

baywax

Gold Member

This could be. Although there's a great example of what can be done with CGI on UTube in an ad for Toyota where the LockNess monster comes out of the water and steals a Tacoma truck. I saw it after this one and it seemed to explain the quick motion of the "creature" and realistic water motion.

edit,

here's that ad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. May 28, 2008 #19

baywax

Gold Member

What's more, hypatia, is that the video of what you think might be an otter starts off on a long zoom from shore. This gives the impression of it being larger than an otter since it is probably about 100 yards out in the water yet still appears rather large.

21. May 30, 2008 #20
    It just doesn't seem like a "monster", maybe a large beaver or otter. If it is real, why hasn't anyone caught it yet? LOL :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?