Chance of getting a teaching gig with just an MS?

• Physics
  • Thread starter elkend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary: Community colleges are also trying to keep tuition low and are often looking for ways to reduce costs.
elkend
I am looking for my first medical physics job, a field I consider a MS to be a terminal degree in. I love teaching, and feel in a couple decades I would like to transition to a teaching job. Are these very common with a MS at community colleges? Would it typically involve moving, like looking for a university teaching position would? I have only attended a community college for one class, so do not know much about them compared to a university.

Physics news on Phys.org
elkend said:
I am looking for my first medical physics job, a field I consider a MS to be a terminal degree in. I love teaching, and feel in a couple decades I would like to transition to a teaching job. Are these very common with a MS at community colleges? Would it typically involve moving, like looking for a university teaching position would? I have only attended a community college for one class, so do not know much about them compared to a university.
I think you have a good chance at getting a teaching job at a CC. When I first started teaching at a CC in '79, all of my colleagues (and myself) had Masters' degrees. The situation has changed somewhat since then, with more CC instructors having PhD degrees, but that usually isn't a requirement.

It's fairly easy to get a part-time teaching job at a CC, but a lot harder to land a full-time position in a tenure track. The latter positions are very competitive, making them much harder to attain. BTW, I held a tenured position at a CC for 18 years, then took a completely different job at a large software firm. I've retired from that job, and am once again teaching at a different CC. My primary reason is that I enjoy doing it -- and certainly not for the money.

Likes Klystron
Chance of getting a teaching job are good if your salary requirements are very low.

Feeding a family? Not so much.

elkend said:

The problem here is that you need to also consider your "competition". Chances are, you won't be the only one applying for such jobs, and it is realistic to consider that you will be competing with candidates with PhD's.

Unless they are looking for someone to teach a specific course in which you have a unique expertise on, most of these places will be looking for someone who will teach a General Physics course, AND, often someone with already-established teaching expertise and experience, including knowledge of a Learning Management System like Blackboard. You may be competing against candidates that already have all of those credentials.

Zz.

elkend said:

It's quite possible to teach from a medical physics point of view, even with an MSc. You could teach residents, medical physics graduate students, mentor undergraduate students, radiation oncology residents, medical students, radiation therapy students, dosimetry students, etc. It's usually the PhDs who end up with the in-classroom teaching, but not always. And there's always a need for good clinical mentors. On top of that a lot of the major vendors have professional educators who teach clinical staff how to use their latest and greatest projects.

Going back to teaching something like first year physics is more of a stretch if you don't have the PhD.

Choppy said:
Going back to teaching something like first year physics is more of a stretch if you don't have the PhD.
I don't think this is accurate. As @Mark44 said, it's relatively easy to get a part-time position. The place the Ph.D. might matter is trying to get a full-time job. But then again, we are all talking about the current situation. Who knows what it will be like decades from now.

My impression is that teachers at community colleges do not need the higher degrees (above Masters) so much as they need to be excellent teachers. Some of the finest teachers I have ever seen were at community colleges. IMHO, if your goal is teaching in a community college, you should look into education classes.

Last edited:

1. What are the job prospects for someone with just an MS degree in teaching?

The job prospects for someone with just an MS degree in teaching may vary depending on several factors, such as the subject area, location, and demand for teachers. Generally, having an MS degree can make an individual more competitive in the job market and increase their chances of getting a teaching gig.

2. Is it possible to get a teaching job with just an MS degree?

Yes, it is possible to get a teaching job with just an MS degree. However, the availability of positions and the competition for those positions may vary depending on the area and subject. It may also depend on the specific requirements of the school or district.

3. Do I need a PhD to become a teacher?

No, a PhD is not required to become a teacher. In most cases, a master's degree in education or a specific subject area is the minimum requirement to become a teacher. However, some schools or districts may prefer candidates with a PhD, especially for higher-level teaching positions.

4. Can I teach at a university with just an MS degree?

It is possible to teach at a university with just an MS degree, but it may depend on the specific university and their requirements. Some universities may prefer candidates with a PhD, while others may prioritize teaching experience and expertise in a specific subject area.

5. Are there any additional qualifications that can increase my chances of getting a teaching job with just an MS degree?

Having additional qualifications, such as teaching certifications or relevant work experience, can definitely increase your chances of getting a teaching job with just an MS degree. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the subject you want to teach and to continuously update your skills and knowledge in the field.