What Are My Chances for Acceptance to SUNY-SB's Applied Math PhD Program?

• Thread starter automorphic
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for opinions on their chances of being accepted to Stony Brook's applied math PhD program. They have a strong background in math and have been working in a lab for 1 year, using machine learning. Their GPAs are high, except for a couple of C+ grades in math classes due to working almost 40 hours a week. They also have a physics minor and have coauthored a conference paper. They have not taken any graduate-level courses but have received an A in the most difficult undergraduate course at their school. They are wondering if their application is weak or if they have a chance of being accepted.
automorphic
Hey all,

I know these threads are annoying, especially since hey, once you've sent in your application materials, there is nothing left to do but wait, and whatever anyone tells you about your chances of acceptance after that means nothing.

That said, I wondered if anyone would opine on my chances of being accepted to Stony Brook's (SUNY SB's) applied math PhD.

Here's me:
-Started as national merit scholar at a top music conservatory
-Switched to math, took semester off to take care of financial issues, transferred to a state school
-Have been working for 1 year at a lab doing computer work, using machine learning
-Working on honors thesis related to pseudo-Anosovs

Math subject GRE - not taken.
General GRE - Verbal 710 (99 percentile), Quant 760 (84 percentile)

GPA at current institution: 3.96
GPA in major at current institution: 3.93
Cumulative GPA: 3.68
Cumulative GPA in all math classes: 3.79

My major is mathematics, and I have a physics minor.
A couple of semesters after I switched to math, I started working almost 40 hours a week to support myself, and that semester I received two C+ grades in math classes--hence the lower cumulative GPA.
A conference paper I coauthored was recently accepted, but this is too late to include in my application.
I haven't taken any graduate-level courses, but I got an A in the most difficult undergraduate course offered at my school.

I guess I'm asking: is my application really, horribly weak? Or do I have a chance?

Physics news on Phys.org
TL;DR? Or was the answer to my last question just a communal "uh, well..."

1. What is the Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicant?

The Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicant is an application and admission process for students interested in pursuing a degree in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at Stony Brook University.

2. Who can apply for the Chance SUNY-SB AMS program?

Any student who meets the eligibility requirements can apply for the Chance SUNY-SB AMS program. These requirements may vary, but generally include a strong academic record and a demonstrated interest in atmospheric and oceanic sciences.

3. What does the application process for the Chance SUNY-SB AMS program involve?

The application process typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require standardized test scores or additional materials.

4. What are the benefits of being a Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicant?

As a Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicant, you will have the opportunity to study at one of the top universities for atmospheric and oceanic sciences. You will have access to cutting-edge research facilities and experienced faculty members. Additionally, the program offers various scholarships and networking opportunities.

5. What are the career prospects for Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicants?

The career prospects for Chance SUNY-SB AMS applicants are promising. Graduates from the program have gone on to work in various fields, including climate research, weather forecasting, environmental consulting, and government agencies. The program also prepares students for further education in graduate studies.