Are my stats and course choices enough for top M-theory schools?

In summary: Consider a lower ranked school. In summary, JJustin recommends that an undergraduate interested in M-theory should take graduate-level classes in quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity before trying to learn string theory. Justin also suggests that the student avoid schools with strong M-theory research, as it is difficult for a graduate student to do research in this area. He recommends that the student begin with four courses instead of five and that if the student is very determined they can try to do better in their freshman year physics courses.
hola
I'm an senior and like to know my chances at some schools: specifically University of Michigan, Princeton, and Caltech, which I have heard are the top three schools in string theory. I'm interested in superstring/M theory. Here are my stats:
GPA: 4.0 uw
SAT: 1500 (800 M, 700 V)
SAT II: Physics: 800, Math IIc: 800, Writing: 690
11th Grade Courses:
Physics C AP
Chemistry AP
Computer Science AP
Calculus BC AP
Spanish 3
Honors English 11
12th Grade Courses:
English 12AP
Spanish 4 AP
Gym
Light/Heat (college course)
Multivariable Calculus (1/2 semester)
Differential Equations (1/2 semester)
Linear Algebra (1/2 semester)
Partial Differential Equations (1/2 semester)

Other stuff:
USAPhO Semifinalist
Physics Student of the Year in 10th,11th
100 hours volunteering at hospital
JV Tennis 9th-11th
Varsity Tennis 12th
Other little things

Here are some questions:
1. What are the top schools in M-theory? Is my list right? Is U of M very good?
2. Does this seem like good courses to take freshmen year in physics:
-Quantum Mechanics 1
-Quantum Mechanics 2
-Intermediate (Classical) Mechanics
-Statistical Physics

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be doing M theory in undergrad, so you might actually do better staying away from schools with strong M-theory so that you don't have conflicts when you apply for graduate school.

Otherwise, there've been many "Will I get in?" threads, so do a search first, please...

--J

Justin is right. It's competitive enough as it is for a grad student (even a very smart one) to do research in string theory. I can't imagine any string theory prof at Caltech accepting an undergrad to do research. I'm sure that holds at other schools. You should probably have taken graduate-level classes in quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity before starting string theory.

Try not to get too ambitious with your freshman year in college. Seriously. But do look into taking some math classes. The guys in the string theory forum will probably have pointers there.

Let me state my rough schedule(freshmen year):

Fall:
Modern Physics
Intermediate(classical) mechanics
Real Analysis
Topology
Differential Geometry
Winter:
English
Statistical Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Group Theory
Complex Analysis

Can you tell I have a strong interest in Physics? :rofl:

Anyways, I'm guessing in my sophomore year I'll take relativity, astrophysics, graduate quantum mechanics, subatomic physics, three more math courses (to finish all of that- probably algebraic topology, graduate algebra, adv. partial diff eq.), as well as two more non-sci electives.

So I can probably take string theory courses sometimes in my late junior year, finishing up a few required courses in the begiining of my junior year, like quantum field theory and general relativity and advanced astrophysics.
That's why I want to go to school strong in M-theory.

Is my M-theory school list good? Can others comment on their own rankings? Is U of M a good school?

Once again, what are my chances at these schools? Is being a USAPhO semifinalist helpful?

Edit: I looked over this post and it seems abrasive. I don't meen to sound like a fighter. Sorry.

Last edited:
There's honestly not a heck of a lot in your resume that has shown me that you can handle an ambitious schedule like that. There are plenty of students who are interested in physics and have high school resumes like yours that take the normal physics sequence at good schools like Caltech. Caltech undergrad phys majors are smart - and they typically take their full-year quantum mechanics and classical mechanics courses in their junior year. I know one very bright guy who did it his sophomore year. At Harvard, quantum mechanics was typically taken your sophomore year, and even the genius Putnam finalist who was a year below me did that.

Caltech doesn't even offer their intro to string theory every year. I think entering grad students are expected to do most of their learning on their own.

Keep in mind that if you get too ambitious, you will flounder in your courses and hurt your chances for grad school. You're really best off sticking with the rest of the students in your year and following the same track.

Also - high school level physics is much easier than college level physics.

I don't know about all schools but I know in my school you have to take the courses in order. So Freshman year you would have to take the intro courses, you can't just jump up to intermediate. I would imagine other schools are the same. Also even though it seems you are quite smart I think you are still being a bit too ambitious, Graduate quantum mechanics sophmore year? :bugeye:

hola said:

Fall:
Modern Physics
Real Analysis
Topology
Differential Geometry
Winter:
English
Statistical Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Group Theory
Complex Analysis

Don't forget you also have to take several general ed courses.

Your freshmen year looks really tough, I would start out with four courses your freshmen year instead of five just so you can get the feel of things. Also if you are really determined you can do better in those four courses since you can focus on one less thing.

Also I would not focus on such a specific thing right away unless
1. You are already very familiar superstring/M theory - I don't know your background in superstring/M theory but if you really don't know a lot about it how do you know for sure you will enjoy it? If am wrong ignore that.

AND

2. You are already very familiar with all of the other courses you will be takiing - You might find something else you enjoy more, you will be taking lots of courses that cover different things as undergraduate. Just remember to keep an open mind about things.

Overall I think it is great that you have high ambitions and I am sure you will do well in whatever you decide to do.

Edit: On the other hand you really can't focus on a specific thing yet because you are an undergraduate. Your focus is going to be on all the courses you will be taking so in the end you will probably end up doing what you really love anyways, whether it be superstring/M theory or something else. :smile:

Last edited:
hola said:

Fall:
Modern Physics
Real Analysis
Topology
Differential Geometry
Winter:
English
Statistical Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Group Theory
Complex Analysis

If you go to Caltech, at least, you will have to impress the hell out of the physics department to get that schedule. Very few people here test out of the first year of physics, much less the first two. Not to mention that Classical and Quantum are normally full year classes (taken simultaneously, however). Your schedule would put you at 45 units, which is a standard load, before adding in the required courses for core, so you'd be way in the overload zone, so you'd not only have to get through the physics department, you'd have to get through the Deans, too. It wouldn't fly. I can't imagine Princeton or University of Michigan letting you do it, either.

Why are you in such a rush? What makes you really believe that you could handle such a load? These are some very important questions that you must answer, because when you show that schedule to your advisor and the deans, they're going to want answers to them. And without answers, they're going to stick you in Ph 1a and Ma 1a, whether you like it or not.

--J

Well, a lot of this is based of U of M. They have very few requirements, other than 2 writing course, a race/ethnicity course, 8 credits in non-major fields. Its very big, so often you get multiple sections of graduate courses, in which undergrads can easily enroll. And it is true, you can take graduate quantum mechanics right after a fast-pace, 1 semester course of intro qm. Plus, I've already read extensively into quantum mechanics and modern physics (even some string theory, though I had trouble grasping a lot of mathematical concepts).

Why do I want to move so fast? Passion, I guess.
Why could I handle such a load? All A+'s in Physis courses, even light/heat through local university. Plus, I'm a USAPhO semifinalist.

I'm really sorry to bug you all, but will I even get accepted into any of these universities? That's what I'm worried about.

Last edited:
U of Michigan is relatively easy to get into. You might want to look at Berkeley as well. I don't see you as a compelling candidate to get into Princeton or Caltech, but you could still get in there.

At Harvard - after your freshman year, they're not as strict about your coursework - though you usually need the instructor's permission. I actually have a somewhat amusing story about that:

I was talking to an upperclassman, and he was telling me how he didn't bother taking undergraduate courses, and that taking graduate level courses was better because they learn from first principles. So later on - I was chatting with a prof, and asked her whether I should skip undergrad courses. She was like: "Why?". "Because so-and-so mentioned that it's better to learn from first principles". "Well - don't listen to so-and-so because he failed all those grad classes."

juvenal said:
I was talking to an upperclassman, and he was telling me how he didn't bother taking undergraduate courses, and that taking graduate level courses was better because they learn from first principles. So later on - I was chatting with a prof, and asked her whether I should skip undergrad courses. She was like: "Why?". "Because so-and-so mentioned that it's better to learn from first principles". "Well - don't listen to so-and-so because he failed all those grad classes."
LOL that is great.

Firstly, i don't think putting all your eggs in one basket is an entirely good idea (devoting your entire career to string theory). Also, I strongly believe that one should not take too heavy a workload, you might well miss out on a strong foundation if you just rush it through. A good musician is not only one who strives to learn new moves, but perfect the one he already knows.

I would never rush through my formal education, but that doesn't stop me from taking a QM textbook and try very hard to understand it. You may want to study those courses you stated in your free time.

hola said:
Well, a lot of this is based of U of M. They have very few requirements, other than 2 writing course, a race/ethnicity course, 8 credits in non-major fields. Its very big, so often you get multiple sections of graduate courses, in which undergrads can easily enroll. And it is true, you can take graduate quantum mechanics right after a fast-pace, 1 semester course of intro qm. Plus, I've already read extensively into quantum mechanics and modern physics (even some string theory, though I had trouble grasping a lot of mathematical concepts).

Why could I handle such a load? All A+'s in Physis courses, even light/heat through local university. Plus, I'm a USAPhO semifinalist.

I'm really sorry to bug you all, but will I even get accepted into any of these universities? That's what I'm worried about.

That answer won't convince anyone, sorry. What reading have you done? What books did you use?

Most everybody I know has gotten all A+'s in physics courses, including college classes. As for the USAPhO thing, not to be rude or insulting, but my only thought on that is "So what?"

And to add a comment about your chances at getting in, you have good scores and academics. Get some good letters of rec and write some good essays, and you should have a solid chance.

--J

Last edited:
You're good in physics in high school. Congratulations, it's not everyone who is like that, but when you get to college you will not be the smartest person there and many of the kids in your class are going to be in there with all As in high school physics.
Plus in all honesty, other then the sheer workload involved in your intended schedule there's another worry in taking too much physics at once. Going off to college is a weird enough thing as it is (trust me on this one) and you're going to want to stop and smell the roses a bit. Secondly, if you take too much physics at once you're going to be stretched too thin, so to speak, and very likely not be able to give as much focus to each class as is required. I mean even if you get good grades there's a reason there is a sequence: repitition is key and you want to give each section of it your undevided attention. This is so later on when you're doing a problem relating to a particular concept you can remember something seemingly unrelated and be able to apply it accordingly. And if you can't do this you are setting yourself up for disaster in your later years.
Ok, onto the colleges: U MI shouldn't be too much of a problem, but everyone who applies to Caltech/ Princeton will have stats like yours (refer back to the whole "everyone's their high school's genius" thing). If you actually took and got decent scores on those APs, wrote a nice essay, and had great recs then one never knows. Best of luck.

hola said:

Fall:
Modern Physics
Real Analysis
Topology
Differential Geometry
Winter:
English
Statistical Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Group Theory
Complex Analysis
If you do all those courses in the beginning ,You will have an entire year or two with only humanities courses :yuck: (8 isn't it?).
THAT will be boring. :rofl:

hola said:
If you want to move fast why don't you do private study? I mean.. by the time you take said courses in university getting a high grade will be a breeze if you're already familiar with them... that'd probably be a better way to get through rather than taking the harder courses straight away.

can you say BURN OUT?

1. What are my chances of getting into my dream college?

It is difficult to determine your exact chances of getting into a specific college, as there are many factors that come into play such as your grades, test scores, extracurricular activities, and essays. However, you can research the acceptance rates and average GPA/SAT scores of the college to get a general idea of your chances. Keep in mind that these numbers are not definitive and there are always exceptions.

2. How important are extracurricular activities for college admissions?

Extracurricular activities can play a significant role in the college admissions process. Admissions officers are looking for well-rounded students who are involved in their community and have a variety of interests. However, it is important to focus on quality over quantity and choose activities that align with your passions and showcase your unique skills and talents.

3. Do I need to take AP/honors courses to get into a good college?

Taking AP/honors courses can demonstrate to colleges that you are challenging yourself academically and are prepared for the rigor of college-level coursework. However, it is not necessary to take these courses to get into a good college. Admissions officers also consider the availability of these courses at your school and your overall academic performance in relation to your course load.

4. How many colleges should I apply to?

The number of colleges you should apply to depends on your personal preferences and goals. Some students apply to 5-8 colleges, while others apply to 10 or more. It is important to have a balanced list of reach, match, and safety schools that you are genuinely interested in and would be happy attending.

5. Is it better to apply early decision or regular decision?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. Applying early decision can show a college that it is your top choice and may slightly increase your chances of admission. However, it is a binding agreement and you must attend if accepted. Regular decision allows you to compare financial aid packages and consider multiple options before making a decision. It is important to research and carefully consider the pros and cons of each before making a decision.