Is Freelance Web Development a Viable Career Path for a Python-Savvy Student?

• Other
  • Thread starter Listenupjunior97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary: It is easier to learn statistics at...a college level.It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...It is easier to learn statistics at...I agree with this. It is easier to learn statistics at...I agree with this. It is easier to
Listenupjunior97
So I'm currently employed an in college, but I constantly get my hours for some reason. I was thinking about doing free lance web development. I mainly know python, but my html skills need work. Is there any chance of me becoming a freelance web developer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Listenupjunior97 said:
So I'm currently employed an in college, but I constantly get my hours for some reason.
Sorry, I'm not able to parse that. Can you explain what you mean? Thanks.

Listenupjunior97 said:
I mainly know python, but my html skills need work.
What languages and platforms do you think web developers use currently? My son is a web developer, so I could ask him, but it would be better if you could do some searching and tell us. Thanks. :wink:

berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm not able to parse that. Can you explain what you mean? Thanks.What languages and platforms do you think web developers use currently? My son is a web developer, so I could ask him, but it would be better if you could do some searching and tell us. Thanks. :wink:
web development usually consists of javascript, html, and css.

Can you post a link to a demo web page that you've developed? If you want to freelance, that's an important link to have on your resume. :smile:

And you didn't help me parse the first part of your post. Were you saying that you find yourself with a lot of free time during your studies even though you are working at the same time, and want to figure out what to do with that extra time?

berkeman said:
Were you saying that you find yourself with a lot of free time during your studies even though you are working at the same time, and want to figure out what to do with that extra time?
I'm just looking for a way to make some passive income. My classes don't start until next month so maybe things at my job would change until then.

Writing code is not "passive income".

Listenupjunior97 said:
javascript, html, and css.

Listenupjunior97 said:
I mainly know python, but my html skills need work

If you don't know the tools needed for web design, how do you plan to outcompete those who do?

Likes gleem, malawi_glenn and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Writing code is not "passive income".If you don't know the tools needed for web design, how do you plan to outcompete those who do?
yea you right. just never used python in a front end programming situation before

Can you post a screenshot of your best GUI that you've designed? I can post one of mine when I get back to work tomorrow... :smile: (well, modulo the confidential aspect -- I may need to blur some stuff out...)

Listenupjunior97 said:
I'm just looking for a way to make some passive income. My classes don't start until next month so maybe things at my job would change until then.
If passive income is what you want, then put several thousands of dollars in a really good investment account; but this can be risky and you either may earn very little or may lose money. Working for a living is almost always better --- for MOST people.

I've been off the market for 3 years but even then, HTML, CSS and vanilla JS were not enough to get a junior dev role - you'll need to be proficient in a major library like React or Angular, or whatever JS package is the flavour of the day**, otherwise you'll get passed over for someone who does.

And these days, everyone is pushing for Full Stack devs. Drove me out of the biz.

** and its moot anyway. Whatever JS library you are proficient in at your interview will be obsolete by your first day of work anyway. They'll all be off drooling after the next shiny bauble.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and PeroK
Have you considered tutoring? Particularly statistics. All of non stem majors need it. I was able to make about $150 a week for just 5 hours of work when I was in undergrad...

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, symbolipoint and berkeman
Your competition from well-educated and experienced freelancers from India will swamp you unless you're willing to work for peanuts and even then with your lack of experience, I don't seee you getting any work.

Check out FreeLancer online

Likes vanhees71
MidgetDwarf said:
Particularly statistics
Where does the OP say that he's an expert in statistics?

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
You do not need to be an expert i statistics to teach non stems :-)
Even I can teach it!

Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
You do not need to be an expert i statistics to teach non stems :-)
Even I can teach it!
No, No, no, no, no.
I cannot agree with this.
At least tell SOMETHING about what and how well someone needs to know in Statistics to be able to tutor students in Statistics.

Likes Delta2 and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
It is easier to learn statistics at the non stem major level, then to be a freelancer in web development with only Python.

Heck, they can tutor algebra, or any pre-calculus level mathematics for a bit less hourly. After all, this is for side money, and not a career.

Likes vanhees71
I'm not sure "just tutor statistics" is universal advice, advice that doesn't need to be tailored to the OP.

Likes phinds, vanhees71 and symbolipoint
MidgetDwarf said:
Heck, they can tutor algebra, or any pre-calculus level mathematics for a bit less hourly. After all, this is for side money, and not a career.
One must understand the need for competence in any algebra or precalculus material for being able to tutor it/them.

Likes Delta2, phinds, vanhees71 and 1 other person
To the OP:

First of all, your thread does not provide much information. Before I (or anyone else) can provide meaningful advice, you need to inform us of the following:

1. Where are you located?

2. What kind of job are you currently employed in at the college you work for?

3. Have you completed your college/university degrees (bachelors, masters, Phd), or are you still a student? If still a student, what are you studying?

4. What computing skills do you possess? You mentioned knowing Python, but lack experience in HTML. What other programming languages do you know? What experience do you have programming - either at work, school, or personal projects/portfolio posted on GitHub?

5. What is your overall work experience thus far?

Your answers to these questions can help us to provide useful advice for you.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters

What is freelancing?

Freelancing is a type of work where an individual offers their services to clients on a project-by-project basis. Freelancers are not tied to a specific company or employer and have the flexibility to choose their own projects and work schedule.

What are the chances of success in freelancing?

The chances of success in freelancing vary depending on the individual's skills, experience, and dedication. It is important to have a strong portfolio, networking skills, and a good work ethic to increase your chances of success.

What are the risks of freelancing?

Some risks of freelancing include inconsistent income, lack of job security, and difficulty finding clients. It is important to have a financial plan and a strong network to mitigate these risks.

Do I need any specific skills to be a successful freelancer?

Yes, having specific skills and expertise in a particular field is important for success in freelancing. It is also helpful to have skills in time management, communication, and marketing to effectively manage your projects and attract clients.

What are the benefits of freelancing?

Freelancing offers many benefits, including the flexibility to choose your own projects and schedule, the opportunity to work with a variety of clients and industries, and the potential for higher income. It also allows for a better work-life balance and the ability to work from anywhere.