Can I Just Change the Coil in Circuits to Find the Relationship Between B and r?

In summary: In particular, you need to derive a general expression for the B-field at the midpoint when the separation is ##d## and the radius is ##r##.
PhysicStud01

Homework Statement

p5j14q1.png

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to find the relationship between B and r. So, i have to change r.
Do I just change the coil completely with a new one? I believe that this could greatly affect the set up and I don;t think it is practical. OR is there a basic thing that I am missing?

Attachments

• p5j14q1.png
    p5j14q1.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not at all practical to change ##r##, I agree. You are missing that the coil separation ##d## must be part of the expression for the B-field at the midpoint. The expression that you are given is valid for only for a fixed ratio ##\beta = d/r##. Thus, if you want to test the relationship, you must vary both ##r## and ##d## in a way that keeps the ratio constant. In other words, the relationship you are given appears to have ##r## as an independent variable, but it is not independent. The numerical factor 0.72 implicitly contains the ratio ##\beta##. I strongly recommend that you derive a general expression for the B-field at the midpoint when the separation is ##d## and the radius is ##r##. It will help you see what's going on and see where the factor 0.72 is coming from.

One thing you could do experimentally is to test the given expression is to measure the B-field at the midpoint as a function of coil separation ##d## and find for what value the given relationship is valid. However, I am not sure that this is what the exercise expects you to do.

kuruman said:
It is not at all practical to change ##r##, I agree. You are missing that the coil separation ##d## must be part of the expression for the B-field at the midpoint. The expression that you are given is valid for only for a fixed ratio ##\beta = d/r##. Thus, if you want to test the relationship, you must vary both ##r## and ##d## in a way that keeps the ratio constant. In other words, the relationship you are given appears to have ##r## as an independent variable, but it is not independent. The numerical factor 0.72 implicitly contains the ratio ##\beta##. I strongly recommend that you derive a general expression for the B-field at the midpoint when the separation is ##d## and the radius is ##r##. It will help you see what's going on and see where the factor 0.72 is coming from.

One thing you could do experimentally is to test the given expression is to measure the B-field at the midpoint as a function of coil separation ##d## and find for what value the given relationship is valid. However, I am not sure that this is what the exercise expects you to do.
we need to design an experiment to test the relationship between B and r. so, i think that we need to change r. But is there any way that does not disturb the set-up or should i just change the coil entirely.
i don't think that we need to go into the ratio you have given in this question

My point is that the formula is valid only for a given value of the ratio ##\beta=d/r##. If you keep the coil separation the same and change only the radius, you are not testing the relationship that was given to you with ##r## as an independent variable. Stated differently, the correct expression for the B-field at the midpoint is $$B=\frac{f(\beta)\mu_0NI}{r}$$The coils that are given to you are in the Helmholtz configuration (##\beta = 1##) in which case ##f(1)=(4/5)^{3/2}=0.72##. If you change ##r## only, you also change ##\beta## in which case ##f(\beta)## has a different value from ##0.72##.

I will repeat my strong recommendation: if you want to test the expression that is given to you, you need to at least understand where it comes from and how it is put together.

1. How do you change coils in a circuit?

To change coils in a circuit, you will first need to disconnect the power source. Then, carefully remove the old coils by unscrewing them from the circuit. Next, attach the new coils in the correct position and tighten the screws. Finally, reconnect the power source and test the circuit to ensure it is working properly.

2. Why would you need to change coils in a circuit?

Coils may need to be changed in a circuit if they become damaged or worn out, affecting the performance of the circuit. Additionally, if you are building a new circuit or making modifications, you may need to change coils to achieve the desired results.

3. How do you know when it's time to change coils in a circuit?

If a circuit is not functioning properly, it could be a sign that the coils need to be changed. Other signs may include overheating, buzzing or humming sounds, or a burning smell. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of coils can help identify when they need to be changed.

4. Can you reuse old coils in a circuit?

In some cases, old coils can be reused in a circuit if they are still in good working condition. However, if they are damaged or worn out, it is recommended to replace them with new coils to ensure the circuit's optimal performance and safety.

5. Are there different types of coils for different circuits?

Yes, there are different types of coils for different circuits. Coils can vary in size, shape, and materials, depending on the specific circuit's needs. It is important to use the correct type of coil for a circuit to ensure proper functioning and avoid potential damage.