Change guitar string tension and vibration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the percentage change in tension of a guitar string in order to achieve the correct frequency. The equation used is f1/f2 = 1/√k, and the calculated percentage change is 4.395%. However, this is not the correct answer and the person asks for further instruction.
Becca93
Change in guitar string tension - Please help?

Homework Statement

A particular guitar string is supposed to vibrate at 220 Hz, but it is measured to actually vibrate at 225 Hz. By what percentage should the tension in the string be changed to get the frequency to the correct value? Do not enter units.

Homework Equations

f= (1/2L)√(T/μ)

I solved for 1/2L and got
f1/(√T1) = f2/(√T2)
f1/(√T) = f2/(√kT)

Cancel the √T's, and you're left with
f1/f2 = 1/√k

The Attempt at a Solution

I took
f1 = 225 Hz
f2 = 220 Hz

k = (f2/f1)^2
k = (220/225)^2
k = 0.956049

1-k = 0.04395
Meaning you'd have to change the string by 4.395%

But this is not the right answer.

So far, I've tried the following and none of them have been correct.

Can anyone please instruct me on what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try it with a negative sign?

1. How does changing the tension of a guitar string affect its vibration?

Changing the tension of a guitar string affects its vibration by altering the frequency at which it vibrates. Higher tension results in a higher frequency and therefore a higher pitch, while lower tension results in a lower frequency and a lower pitch.

2. Can changing the tension of a guitar string affect its tone?

Yes, changing the tension of a guitar string can affect its tone. Higher tension can result in a brighter, more defined tone, while lower tension can produce a warmer, more mellow tone. However, other factors such as the type of string and the playing technique also play a role in the overall tone.

3. How often should guitar strings be changed?

The frequency of string changes depends on many factors, such as how often the guitar is played, the type of strings being used, and the environment in which the guitar is kept. It is generally recommended to change strings every 3-4 months for optimal sound quality and playability.

4. What is the proper way to change guitar strings?

The proper way to change guitar strings may vary depending on the type of guitar and strings being used. However, some general steps include loosening the old strings, removing them from the tuning pegs, unwinding them from the bridge, and then repeating these steps in reverse with the new strings. It is also important to tune the strings properly after changing them.

5. Can changing the tension of a guitar string affect its intonation?

Yes, changing the tension of a guitar string can affect its intonation, which refers to the accuracy of the pitches produced by fretting the string at different positions. Adjusting the tension of the strings can cause a change in the length and overall tension of the string, which can impact its intonation. It is important to properly adjust the intonation after changing the tension of the strings.