Change \imath Command for LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter coyote_001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses changing the \imath command in a LaTeX document to use a dotted \imath symbol. The initial attempt to redefine the command using \renewcommand{\imath}{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}} resulted in errors. The suggestion to use the built-in "find & replace all" function in a text editor is given, but it is also recommended to replace \imath with a different command, such as \myi, and define it as \define{\myi}{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}}. The use of the command "sed" to do the replacement in one line is also suggested.
coyote_001
change imath command (LaTeX)

Hello,
I have a question about the \imath command... :confused:

I am a physics student and I wrote a huge document with many equations. In some equations there is the \imath symbol. When my professor saw this document he told me to change the symbol and use one with a dotted \imath.

So I thought to change the \imath command and use at the beginning

Code:
 \renewcommand{\imath}{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}}

but when I compile the document using this command the compiler comes with some errors concerning the \imath symbol.

There are a lot of \imath symbols in my document and changing them one by one it is going to take a lot of time :cry: .

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What text editor are you using? You can just find/replace all and replace \imath with \dot{\imath} (or just i)!

What text editor are you using?
The question is about LaTeX...

You can just find/replace all and replace \imath with \dot{\imath} (or just i)!

It will take hours to replace one by one the symbol \imath, because the document is more than 150 pages and more than 400 equations.

coyote_001 said:
The question is about LaTeX...

Yes, but my point was that, if you're using a standard text editor, you can use the built in "find & replace all" function to replace all the occurances of \imath. This will have less potential for causing problems than redefining characters.

However, if you wish to do that, then use something like \renewcommand\imath{i}

(Latex doesn't like you dotting \imath, for some reason).

The problem is that your redefinition uses the original command, causing LaTeX to substitute it over and over:

\imath

\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}

\ensuremath{\dot{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}}}

\ensuremath{\dot{\ensuremath{\dot{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}}}}}

I would recommend replacing it everywhere -- 150 pages of replacements should take Notepad 10 seconds or any modern editor < 50 ms. But I would replace \imath with \myi and define
\define{\myi}{\ensuremath{\dot{\imath}}}
(replacing \myi with some appropriate name).

1. What is the \imath command in LaTeX?

The \imath command in LaTeX is used to typeset the dotless version of the letter "i" in math mode. It is typically written as \imath or \i.

2. How do I use the \imath command in my LaTeX document?

To use the \imath command, you must first load the "amsmath" package in your document's preamble. Then, you can simply type \imath or \i wherever you want the dotless "i" to appear in your math equations.

3. Can I change the appearance of the \imath symbol in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the appearance of the \imath symbol by using the "unicode-math" package. This package allows you to use different fonts and styles for math symbols, including the dotless "i".

4. What is the difference between \imath and \i in LaTeX?

Both \imath and \i produce the same dotless "i" symbol in LaTeX. However, \imath is used in math mode, while \i can be used in both math and text mode.

5. Are there any other commands similar to \imath in LaTeX?

Yes, there is a similar command called \jmath, which is used to typeset the dotless version of the letter "j" in math mode. It follows the same syntax as \imath and is also included in the "amsmath" package.