1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in 2 variable function

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x,y) = (x-y) / (x+y)

Calculate Δf and df for the change of point (3,2) to point (3.2, 2.1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess that I have to use limits, but don't know how to begin with.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you saying you do not know what [itex]\Delta f[/itex] and df mean or are you simply unable to differentiate?

[tex]\Delta f= f(3.2, 2.1)- f(3, 2)[/tex]
    [tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    Yes, I know what they mean, but I didn't know where to start.

So Δf should be:
    Δf = (3.2 - 2.1)/(3.2 + 2.1) - (3 - 2)/(3 + 2)
    Δf = 1.1/5.3 - 1/5
    Δf = 0.007547...

And df should be:
    df = ((2y)/(x+y)^2)*dx + ((2x)/(x+y)^2)*dy

Are my attempts correct ?

5. May 30, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the first part is right. With hindsight you shouldn't see it anyhow difficult - there is the function, and the change in the function is the change in the function - the difference between its values for that x,y and this x,y.

The second part is not part of the question but good to do. I think your second term has a mistake of sign. To see this don't just do the differentiation again, but notice the symmetry, that f(x, y) = - f(y, x) . Such symmetries are often useful checks for errors and shortening calculations.

Then if you put in place of dx, dy Δx, Δy you ought to see whether you get a fair approximation to the previous result, though it will not be exact (except by accident).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted