1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in electric potential

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The diagram above shows a coaxial cable. The inner conductor has radius a = 0.0025 m. The outer conductor is a cylindrical shell with inner radius b = 0.0075 m, and outer radius c = 0.008 m from the center. Both conductors are coaxial. For every length L = 10 m of cable, there is a total charge q = 2.8e-008 C on the inner conductor and a total charge of Q = -5.6e-006 C on the outer conductor.

Determine the electric potential difference between the labeled points A and B.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm a bit confused but I took a stab at the problem. First of all, I know that electric potential = V = kq/r...... Also, I know that since the electric field is zero within the second conductor I would essentially only be calculating the difference in electric potential between point A and the inner surface of the outer conductor. So what I did was I calculated K
    *charge enclosed/r for the two points and found the difference... I can't seem to get the answer. Am I doing this completely wrong? Does q even stand for the charge enclosed? Thanks a lot for any help.... it will be appreciated greatly!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted