Change in Energy HomeWork Help

In summary, the spacecraft is coasting toward Mars with a speed of 2250 m/s when it is 8500 km from the center of Mars. Later, when it is 5300 km from the center of Mars, its speed is 3340 m/s. Using the work energy theorem and assuming negligible effects from Mars's moons, other planets, and the Sun, the precision calculation for landing on Mars yields this result.
bibrahim6
A spacecraft is coasting toward Mars. The mass of Mars is 6.4 × 1023 kg and its radius is 3400 km (3.4 × 106 m). When the spacecraft is 8500 km (8.5 × 106 m) from the center of Mars, the spacecraft 's speed is 2250 m/s. Later, when the spacecraft is 5300 km (5.3 × 106 m) from the center of Mars, what is its speed? Assume that the effects of Mars's two tiny moons, the other planets, and the Sun are negligible. Precision is required to land on Mars, so make an accurate calculation, not a rough, approximate calculation.

I know the answer is 3340 m/s but i can't seem to get it.
Any help will do

Physics news on Phys.org
Use work energy theorem.The change in potential energy is equal to change in kinetic energy.
Welcome to forum

bibrahim6 said:
A spacecraft is coasting toward Mars. The mass of Mars is 6.4 × 1023 kg and its radius is 3400 km (3.4 × 106 m). When the spacecraft is 8500 km (8.5 × 106 m) from the center of Mars, the spacecraft 's speed is 2250 m/s. Later, when the spacecraft is 5300 km (5.3 × 106 m) from the center of Mars, what is its speed? Assume that the effects of Mars's two tiny moons, the other planets, and the Sun are negligible. Precision is required to land on Mars, so make an accurate calculation, not a rough, approximate calculation.

I know the answer is 3340 m/s but i can't seem to get it.
Any help will do

What have you tried? What equations are relevant (the posting template is there for a reason!). What concepts are involved? We can't help if we can't see where you need help!

Ive tried delta K = delta U so 1/2 m(vf-vi)^2 = -G (Mm/(rf-ri)) but i get initial is equal to final since the potential is very small

Let's see some numbers. What's the 'per kg' change in potential energy due to moving between the two positions?

bibrahim6 said:
Ive tried delta K = delta U so 1/2 m(vf-vi)^2 = -G (Mm/(rf-ri)) but i get initial is equal to final since the potential is very small

Also note that (vf - vi)2 is not the same as vf2 - vi2. The change in kinetic energy is given by ##\frac{1}{2}m (vf^2 - vi^2)##.

So this was my attempt

(.5)m( (vf)^2 - (2250)^2 )= -(6.67e-11)* ( (m *6.4 × 1023 ) / (5.3e6 - 8.3e6) )

so m= mass of spacecraft I'm assuming it cancels out and i end up getting
vf= 2250 which is not correct

and does the radius of Mars come into play in this problem?

bibrahim6 said:
So this was my attempt

(.5)m( (vf)^2 - (2250)^2 )= -(6.67e-11)* ( (m *6.4 × 1023 ) / (5.3e6 - 8.3e6) )

so m= mass of spacecraft I'm assuming it cancels out and i end up getting
vf= 2250 which is not correct

and does the radius of Mars come into play in this problem?

Your algebra is causing you problems. For the PE change,

$$\frac{GMm}{r_f} - \frac{GMm}{r_i} \neq \frac{GMm}{r_f - r_i}$$

The radius of Mars won't come into play, and yes the mass of the spacecraft will cancel out.

I corrected that and ended up getting 3299 m/s...can you lay out an exact equation please I am just not seeing my error

bibrahim6 said:
I corrected that and ended up getting 3299 m/s...can you lay out an exact equation please I am just not seeing my error

I can't give you the equation, but I can point out errors you make. Why don't you write out the conservation of energy equation in symbols and I'll verify it for you. Then we can look at the numbers.

Nevermind I put 8.3 instead of 8.5 THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

No problem. Glad to help.

1. What is "change in energy"?

"Change in energy" refers to the difference between the initial and final energy states of a system. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial energy from the final energy.

2. How is change in energy related to work and heat?

According to the First Law of Thermodynamics, the total change in energy of a system is equal to the amount of work done on the system and the heat added to the system. This means that any change in energy must be accounted for by either work or heat.

3. How do you calculate change in energy?

The change in energy of a system can be calculated using the equation ΔE = Efinal - Einitial, where ΔE is the change in energy, Efinal is the final energy state, and Einitial is the initial energy state.

4. What are some examples of change in energy?

Examples of change in energy include a battery powering a light bulb (chemical energy to light energy), a car engine burning gasoline (chemical energy to mechanical energy), and a person eating food (chemical energy to kinetic energy).

5. How does change in energy relate to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Therefore, the total change in energy of a system must always be zero. This means that the amount of energy lost or gained in a system must be equal to the amount of energy gained or lost in another form.