What is the Correct Equation for Calculating Change in Entropy of Water?

In summary, the change in entropy of 210 g of water heated slowly from 25.0°C to 70.0°C can be calculated using the formula dS=mcdT/T. However, it is important to note that this formula is only applicable for an infinitesimal change in heat at a specific temperature, and thus integration is necessary to obtain the correct answer.
Kawrae
>> Calculate the change in entropy of 210 g of water heated slowly from 25.0°C to 70.0°C. (Hint: Note that dQ = mcdT.) <<

I'm not sure how to start this, but I think I need to use the equation:
dS=m1*c1*ln(Tf/T1) + m2*c2*ln(Tf/T2)

I know c of water = 4.186J and I know m1=m2... but I don't have a second temperature to use to solve the equation. But this is the only change in entropy equation I know of... am I missing something? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I found part of my mistake but now I don't know why this isn't getting the correct answer...

I used dQ = mcdT and plugged in:
dQ = (.210kg)*(4.186J)*(45K)
dQ = 39.5570J

Then I used...
dS = dQ/T
Plugging in...
dS = 39.5570/343.15K
dS = .115J/K

What am I doing wrong??

Kawrae said:
Okay, I found part of my mistake but now I don't know why this isn't getting the correct answer...

I used dQ = mcdT and plugged in:
dQ = (.210kg)*(4.186J)*(45K)
dQ = 39.5570J

Then I used...
dS = dQ/T
Plugging in...
dS = 39.5570/343.15K
dS = .115J/K

What am I doing wrong??

Remember that the formula dS=dQ/T is at a specific temperature for an infintesimal change in heat. What you did above is incorrect as it assumes that temperature is constant.

dQ=mcdT

dS=dQ/T

so dS=mcdT/T

Integrate both sides... what do you get?

1. What is the definition of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the degree of disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it is a measure of the number of ways in which the molecules in a system can be arranged.

2. How does entropy change in water when it changes state?

When water changes from a solid to a liquid or from a liquid to a gas, the entropy increases because the molecules become less ordered and have more freedom of movement.

3. How does temperature affect the entropy of water?

An increase in temperature causes an increase in the entropy of water because the molecules have more kinetic energy and are able to move around more freely.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related. As the entropy of a system increases, the amount of energy available for work decreases.

5. How can the change in entropy of water be calculated?

The change in entropy of water can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat absorbed or released, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.