Calculate Change in Height Using Angle and Distance Traveled

In summary, the conversation is about trying to determine the change in height using an angle of 3.11 degrees and a distance of 0.797 m. The person multiplied 0.797 by Sin 3.11 to find the height and is unsure if it is correct. They also need to determine the percentage of elastic energy that was not converted to kinetic and are asking for help with finding a formula for that.
miodoll
I'm trying to determine change in height using my angle that I determined to be 3.11 degrees and the distance traveled by cart which is 0.797 m. I multiplied 0.797 by Sin 3.11 to find the height but I have no idea if that is right. Any help would be appreciated since we didn't go through this in class and this is for a lab. After this I also need to determine what percent of elastic energy was not converted to kinetic. Is there a formula for that?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Like this?
triangle-1.jpg

Welcome to PF, miodoll!

YES! That's what I did! Does that make sense? Did I do it right or am I completely off?

And thank you for the welcoming!

Yes, it is correct! Most welcome.

Based on your given information, it seems like you are trying to calculate the height change of a cart using the angle and distance traveled. Your approach of multiplying the distance by the sine of the angle is correct, as this is the formula for calculating the vertical component of a displacement. However, it is important to note that this calculation only gives you the height change relative to the starting point. If you want to calculate the total height change, you will need to take into account the initial height of the cart.

As for determining the percentage of elastic energy that was not converted to kinetic, there is indeed a formula for that. It is given by (1 - KEe/KEi) x 100%, where KEe is the final kinetic energy and KEi is the initial kinetic energy. This formula assumes that there is no other energy loss due to friction or other factors.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab! Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask your instructor or a fellow scientist for assistance. Science is all about collaboration and learning from each other.

1) How do I calculate the change in height using angle and distance traveled?

To calculate the change in height using angle and distance traveled, you will need to use trigonometry. First, determine the length of the hypotenuse by using the distance traveled. Then, use the angle and the length of the hypotenuse in a trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine, to find the opposite or adjacent side. This will give you the change in height.

2) Which angle should I use when calculating the change in height?

The angle you should use when calculating the change in height is the angle of elevation or depression. This is the angle between the horizontal ground and the line of sight from the observer to the object. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for the angle and the distance traveled.

3) What is the formula for calculating change in height using angle and distance traveled?

The formula for calculating change in height using angle and distance traveled is: change in height = distance traveled * sin(angle). This formula is derived from the trigonometric function, sine, which relates the opposite side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse.

4) Can I use this method to calculate change in height for any object?

Yes, you can use this method to calculate change in height for any object as long as you have the distance traveled and the angle of elevation or depression. This method is commonly used in fields such as surveying, engineering, and physics to determine the height of objects.

5) Are there any limitations to using this method for calculating change in height?

One limitation to using this method for calculating change in height is that it assumes the ground is flat and the object is at a constant height. If the ground is uneven or the object is on a slope, the calculated change in height may not be accurate. Additionally, this method does not take into account any external factors, such as wind or air resistance, that may affect the object's height.