How Do You Calculate the Change in Internal Energy for Hydrogen Gas?

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in internal energy of one mole of hydrogen gas when heated from 278 K to 390 K at constant pressure. The specific heat of hydrogen is 43.6 J/mol*K and the universal gas constant is 8.31451 J/K mol. Using the formula (1.5)(1 mol)(8.31451 J/K mol)(112 K), the answer is calculated to be 1396.83768 J, but the website may require a different number of significant figures.
alexithymia916

Homework Statement

One mole of hydrogen gas is heated from 278 K to 390 K at constant pressure. Hydrogen has a specific heat of 43.6 J/mol*K. The universal gas constant is 8.31451 J/K mol. Calculate the change in the internal energy of the gas. Answer in units of J

Homework Equations

Change in Internal energy = (1.5)nRT
n= number of moles
R= universal gas constant
T= change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.5)(1 mol)(8.31451 J/k mol)(112 K)
=

what am i doing wrong??
the website i have to submit my homework to says it's incorrect...:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's right... You may want to look at the significant figures though.

noo def not
my teacher HATES significant digits, so we're just supposed to carry it out about 5 decimal places
grr i can't figure this one out :(

What is change in internal energy?

Change in internal energy refers to the difference in energy of a system before and after a process or reaction. It is a measure of the heat transferred or work done on or by the system.

What factors affect change in internal energy?

The change in internal energy of a system is affected by the amount of heat transferred, the work done on or by the system, and the initial and final temperatures of the system.

How is change in internal energy calculated?

The change in internal energy can be calculated using the equation ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred, and W is the work done on or by the system.

What are some examples of processes that result in change in internal energy?

Some examples of processes that result in change in internal energy include chemical reactions, phase changes, and expansion or compression of gases.

How does change in internal energy relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Change in internal energy is a manifestation of this law as it represents the transfer or conversion of energy within a system.