Change in Kinetic Energy/ Work

In summary: I got -5.356 J for the change in kinetic energy, but when I plugged in the initial value of .5mv^2 it came out as -5.356 J+6.36 J=-11.68 J. I don't understand what I did wrong.Many thanks for your help. In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but was unclear about what steps to take next.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

000000000.PNG

Homework Equations

ΔKE=W+FcosΘd
KE=.5mv^2
Final Vel^2=initial Velocity^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

So calculate the force at x=2.6 to -5.356N, set 2.6(-5.356)=1.3Vf^2-1.3(0^2) which seemed to prove a problem as the square of the final velocity was negative, but just used that negative square in the difference of kinetic energy equation and got -5.356 J- 0= -5.356 as the change in Kinetic energy or work. I am skeptical of my methods and also a little clueless on the second part of the problem.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 107157

Homework Equations

ΔKE=W+FcosΘd
KE=.5mv^2

So calculate the force at x=2.6 to -5.356N, set 2.6(-5.356)=1.3Vf^2-1.3(0^2) which seemed to prove a problem as the square of the final velocity was negative, but just used that negative square in the difference of kinetic energy equation and got -5.356 J- 0= -5.356 as the change in Kinetic energy or work. I am skeptical of my methods and also a little clueless on the second part of the problem.

Many thanks
Please display the problem statement in a form that can be read with reasonable effort.

Perhaps, type it out.

A 2.6 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface when a horizontal force in the positive direction of an x axis is applied to the block. The force is given by https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/shared/assignment/test/session.quest2529127entrance1_N10035.mml?size=14&ver=1475946606896&algorithm=1&rnd=1475946607102 , where x is in meters and the initial position of the block is x = 0. (a) What is the kinetic energy of the block as it passes through x = 2.6 m? (b) What is the maximum kinetic energy of the block between x = 0 and x = 2.6 m?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jrlinton said:
A 2.6 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface when a horizontal force in the positive direction of an x axis is applied to the block. The force is given by https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/shared/assignment/test/session.quest2529127entrance1_N10035.mml?size=14&ver=1475946606896&algorithm=1&rnd=1475946607102 , where x is in meters and the initial position of the block is x = 0. (a) What is the kinetic energy of the block as it passes through x = 2.6 m? (b) What is the maximum kinetic energy of the block between x = 0 and x = 2.6 m?
That's better. We also have:
F(x) = (4.7 - x2)i Newtons.
or
##\ \vec F (x)=(4.7-x^2)\hat i \ ##​

What is F at x = 0? What is F at other locations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jrlinton said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 107157

Homework Equations

ΔKE=W+FcosΘd
KE=.5mv^2

Many thanks

Your formula ##V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2ax## does not work; it assumes that ##a## is a constant, which is not true in this problem.

Okay so I integrated the force to 4.7x-x^3/3. I am unsure of what to do next

I am silly. I got 6.36 J for part 1. Now part 2 is a bit more confusing

1. What is the formula for calculating change in kinetic energy?

The formula for change in kinetic energy is ΔK = ½ mv2f - ½ mv2i, where ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

2. How is work related to change in kinetic energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of that force. Change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done on an object, as stated by the work-energy theorem: ΔK = W = Fd.

3. Can change in kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, change in kinetic energy can be negative. This indicates that the object is losing kinetic energy, either due to a decrease in velocity or a decrease in mass. For example, if a car is braking, it will experience a negative change in kinetic energy as it slows down.

4. How does change in kinetic energy affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a change in kinetic energy, which is a result of a change in velocity, will also affect the object's acceleration and ultimately its motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of change in kinetic energy?

There are many examples of change in kinetic energy in our daily lives. Some common examples include a ball rolling down a hill, a car accelerating or decelerating, a skateboarder performing tricks, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool. In all of these cases, the object experiences a change in kinetic energy due to a change in velocity.