Solve Impulse & Change in Momentum of Golf Ball

In summary: The change in momentum of the golf ball in the previous question would also be 40, but measured in kg*m/s instead of N*s. In summary, the golf club exerts an 800N force on the golf ball for 0.05 seconds, resulting in an impulse of 40 N*s. The change in momentum of the golf ball is also 40, but measured in kg*m/s.
vandorin

Homework Statement

1.) A golf club strikes a golf ball. The club exers an 800N force for .05s. What is the impulse delivered to the golf ball?
2.) What is the change in momentum of the golf ball in the previous question?

Homework Equations

impulse = force x time interval

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first question, but put it on here since it is relevant to the second question. I got 40 for the first question (I don't know the units, so if someone could tell me that would be cool :)) and also i have no idea what the second one would be. I would think it would just be 40?

Physics news on Phys.org
vandorin,

Think units:
What is force measured in?
What is time measured in?

Multiply these two together and you have your answer.

Impulse does indeed equal the change in momentum, but momentum changes are commonly measured in a different unit:

With the same procedure as before analyse:

momentum = mass x velocity

astrorob said:
vandorin,

Think units:
What is force measured in?
What is time measured in?

Multiply these two together and you have your answer.

Impulse does indeed equal the change in momentum, but momentum changes are commonly measured in a different unit:

With the same procedure as before analyse:

momentum = mass x velocity

So the answer to the last problem is 40? just with a different unit?

That is true.

1. What is impulse and change in momentum?

Impulse is the product of force and time, while change in momentum is the difference between the final and initial momentum of an object. In simpler terms, impulse is the amount of force applied over a certain amount of time, and change in momentum is the resulting change in an object's speed or direction.

2. How does the impulse and change in momentum affect a golf ball?

When a golf club strikes a ball, it applies a force over a short amount of time, resulting in an impulse. This impulse causes the ball to undergo a change in momentum, either in terms of speed or direction. The amount of change in momentum depends on the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

3. What factors influence the impulse and change in momentum of a golf ball?

The main factors that influence the impulse and change in momentum of a golf ball include the mass of the ball, the speed and direction of the golf club, and the time of impact between the club and the ball. Other factors such as air resistance and surface friction can also play a role.

4. How can the impulse and change in momentum of a golf ball be calculated?

The impulse and change in momentum of a golf ball can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. The impulse can also be calculated using the equation J = FΔt, where J is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time of impact.

5. How can the impulse and change in momentum of a golf ball be applied in golfing techniques?

Understanding the concepts of impulse and change in momentum can help golfers improve their swings and increase the distance and accuracy of their shots. By adjusting the force and timing of their swing, golfers can control the impulse and change in momentum of the ball, resulting in better shots on the course.