1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in power dissipation

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a wire of resistance r is drawn to double its length. assume a constant voltage and a fixed volume, by how much does the power dissipation change?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so when i plug in 2L for L, it just ends up canceling anyway. the answer in the back of the book says it should decrease by 3/4, so i don't understand how that would happen
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    How about the relation

[tex] P = \frac{V^{2}}{R} = \frac{\left(EL\right)^{2}}{R} [/tex]

How does the voltage change when the length is doubled? Does this help?
  4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    thanks. ok, so then i plug in 2L and I get 4E2L2/R, then i plug in 2LE/I for R and it becomes 2LIE, but this still would not give me the right answer when subtracting from the Power with L
  5. Oct 6, 2008 #4
    For the initial condition

[tex] E_{initial} = \frac{V}{L} [/tex]

Now, double the length. So,

[tex] E_{final} = \frac{V}{2L} \rightarrow E_{final} = \frac{1}{2}E_{initial} [/tex]

Remember, the voltage is "constant." Does this make sense yet?

EDIT: Whoops. Made a mistake...fixed it. Sorry, my mind isn't working right. Now plug it into the previous relation that I provided for the power and you will see the 3/4 difference.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. Oct 7, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are both thinking too 1-dimensionally about this problem; let's call the volume of the wire [itex]\tau[/itex]. Assume that it is a cylindrical shape, initially with radius [itex]R_i[/itex] and length [itex]L_i[/itex], so that [itex]\tau=\pi R_i^2L_i[/itex]. You are told that the volume of the wire remains constant, so what happen to the radius R as the wire is stretched to a length [itex]L_f=2L_i[/itex]?
    What does that do the cross-sectional area [itex]A=\pi R^2[/itex] of the wire?

The resistance [itex]r[/itex] will change as a result of the changing cross-section. Remember, for a cylindrical wire of length [itex]L[/itex] and cross-sectional area [itex]A[/itex] with constant resistivity [itex]\rho[/itex], the resistance is given by [itex]r=\rho \frac{L}{A}[/itex].

So, its the change in the resistance due to the changing cross-sectional area of the wire that accounts for the different power dissipations.

Also, you are told to treat V as a constant, so why would you write V=EL and calculate a change in V?

Just use [itex]P_i=\frac{V^2}{r_i}[/itex] and [itex]P_f=\frac{V^2}{r_f}[/itex] to calculate the change in power dissipation [itex]P_f-P_i[/itex].
  7. Oct 7, 2008 #6
    I liked your approach. I didn't consider it since the student had already supplied relevant equations that would get the job done. I don't understand this comment though. The voltage V never changes, since it is constant. If you double the length, the electric field E must be halved to keep V constant. So, the result is the same, but I would say that your approach is better since it takes into account the fixed volume of the wire.
  8. Oct 7, 2008 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is the result the same? If you plug in a constant V and r into P=V^2/r you get the same power dissipation. Even if you use your expression involving E and L you get

Clearly, any change in the dissipated power must come from the changing resistance of the wire.
  9. Oct 8, 2008 #8
    Whoa! You are right. Usually, I don't make such simple mistakes. Sorry for leading you astray Briteliner. I should have kept my mouth shut on this one. =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?