Does doubling the length of a wire affect power dissipation?

In summary, a wire of resistance r is drawn to double its length, while maintaining a constant voltage and fixed volume. The power dissipation in the wire changes by a factor of 3/4, which can be explained by the changing cross-sectional area of the wire and the resulting change in resistance. The initial and final power dissipation can be calculated using the equations P=V^2/r and P_f=P_i, respectively.
briteliner

Homework Statement

a wire of resistance r is drawn to double its length. assume a constant voltage and a fixed volume, by how much does the power dissipation change?

Homework Equations

P=LEI
E=V/L
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

so when i plug in 2L for L, it just ends up canceling anyway. the answer in the back of the book says it should decrease by 3/4, so i don't understand how that would happen

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the relation

[tex] P = \frac{V^{2}}{R} = \frac{\left(EL\right)^{2}}{R} [/tex]

How does the voltage change when the length is doubled? Does this help?

thanks. ok, so then i plug in 2L and I get 4E2L2/R, then i plug in 2LE/I for R and it becomes 2LIE, but this still would not give me the right answer when subtracting from the Power with L

For the initial condition

[tex] E_{initial} = \frac{V}{L} [/tex]

Now, double the length. So,

[tex] E_{final} = \frac{V}{2L} \rightarrow E_{final} = \frac{1}{2}E_{initial} [/tex]

Remember, the voltage is "constant." Does this make sense yet?

EDIT: Whoops. Made a mistake...fixed it. Sorry, my mind isn't working right. Now plug it into the previous relation that I provided for the power and you will see the 3/4 difference.

Last edited:
You are both thinking too 1-dimensionally about this problem; let's call the volume of the wire [itex]\tau[/itex]. Assume that it is a cylindrical shape, initially with radius [itex]R_i[/itex] and length [itex]L_i[/itex], so that [itex]\tau=\pi R_i^2L_i[/itex]. You are told that the volume of the wire remains constant, so what happen to the radius R as the wire is stretched to a length [itex]L_f=2L_i[/itex]?
What does that do the cross-sectional area [itex]A=\pi R^2[/itex] of the wire?

The resistance [itex]r[/itex] will change as a result of the changing cross-section. Remember, for a cylindrical wire of length [itex]L[/itex] and cross-sectional area [itex]A[/itex] with constant resistivity [itex]\rho[/itex], the resistance is given by [itex]r=\rho \frac{L}{A}[/itex].

So, its the change in the resistance due to the changing cross-sectional area of the wire that accounts for the different power dissipations.

Also, you are told to treat V as a constant, so why would you write V=EL and calculate a change in V?

Just use [itex]P_i=\frac{V^2}{r_i}[/itex] and [itex]P_f=\frac{V^2}{r_f}[/itex] to calculate the change in power dissipation [itex]P_f-P_i[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Also, you are told to treat V as a constant, so why would you write V=EL and calculate a change in V?

I liked your approach. I didn't consider it since the student had already supplied relevant equations that would get the job done. I don't understand this comment though. The voltage V never changes, since it is constant. If you double the length, the electric field E must be halved to keep V constant. So, the result is the same, but I would say that your approach is better since it takes into account the fixed volume of the wire.

buffordboy23 said:
I liked your approach. I didn't consider it since the student had already supplied relevant equations that would get the job done. I don't understand this comment though. The voltage V never changes, since it is constant. If you double the length, the electric field E must be halved to keep V constant. So, the result is the same, but I would say that your approach is better since it takes into account the fixed volume of the wire.

How is the result the same? If you plug in a constant V and r into P=V^2/r you get the same power dissipation. Even if you use your expression involving E and L you get

[tex]P_f=\frac{(E_fL_f)^2}{r}=\frac{((\frac{E_i}{2})({2L_i}))^2}{r}=\frac{(E_iL_i)^2}{r}=P_i[/tex]

Clearly, any change in the dissipated power must come from the changing resistance of the wire.

gabbagabbahey said:
How is the result the same? If you plug in a constant V and r into P=V^2/r you get the same power dissipation. Even if you use your expression involving E and L you get

[tex]P_f=\frac{(E_fL_f)^2}{r}=\frac{((\frac{E_i}{2})({2L_i}))^2}{r}=\frac{(E_iL_i)^2}{r}=P_i[/tex]

Clearly, any change in the dissipated power must come from the changing resistance of the wire.

Whoa! You are right. Usually, I don't make such simple mistakes. Sorry for leading you astray Briteliner. I should have kept my mouth shut on this one. =)

What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation refers to the amount of energy that is converted to heat during the operation of an electronic or electrical device.

Why does power dissipation matter?

Power dissipation is an important factor to consider in the design and operation of electronic devices because excessive heat can damage components and reduce the lifespan of the device.

How does power dissipation change?

Power dissipation can change due to a variety of factors, including changes in the operating conditions (such as voltage or current), changes in the design of the device, or changes in the environment (such as temperature).

What are some ways to reduce power dissipation?

There are several methods to reduce power dissipation, including using more efficient components, optimizing the design of the device, and implementing power management techniques such as sleep modes or dynamic voltage scaling.

What are the consequences of high power dissipation?

High power dissipation can lead to overheating, which can cause damage to the device or even result in a fire. It can also decrease the overall efficiency of the device and increase energy costs.