1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in pressure with fluids

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    A garden hose with a diameter of 0.66 in has water flowing in it with a speed of 0.65 m/s and a pressure of 1.0 atmospheres. At the end of the hose is a nozzle with a diameter of 0.25 in.
    (a) Find the speed of water in the nozzle.
    (b) Find the pressure in the nozzle.

I found out the speed of the water, but I am not sure how to find the pressure. I tried using the equation P1+1/2 pv1^2=P2+1/2 pv2^2 and solving for P2 but the answer that I get is negative. I think the problem is that I'm not sure about what to plug in for p. I looked up the density of water and used that value (1000), but am I supposed to figure it out another way? Because the only other equation I found for density was m/v and I wouldn't be able to calculate that.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2
    The pressure will come out of your equation. Don't forget that being on earth and having an atmosphere, we have an initial pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?