Calculating Density of Y for a Given Function

In summary, a "change in variable" question is a type of scientific question that investigates the relationship between a specific variable and an outcome or phenomenon. To identify the variables in such a question, one must determine the independent variable (the manipulated factor), the dependent variable (the measured outcome), and any control variables that may affect the results. The purpose of conducting a "change in variable" experiment is to establish a cause-and-effect relationship between the independent and dependent variables. To analyze and interpret the results, scientists often use graphs and statistical tests, while also considering any limitations or confounding factors. Examples of "change in variable" questions include those related to the effects of sunlight on plant growth, temperature on chemical reactions, exercise frequency on weight loss
sneaky666
Y=sin(x)
let X~uniform[0,pi/2]
compute density of fy(y) for Y.

my attempt
------------
arcsin(Y) = X

fx(arcsinY)
-------------- = sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY)
(1/sqrt(1-y^2))

then

/\ arcsin(pi/2) sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY) dy
\
.\
\/ arcsin(0)

/\ infinity sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY) dy
\
.\
\/ 0

and i am stuck here as i cannot evaluate this, i probably did something wrong earlier...

Physics news on Phys.org
sneaky666 said:
Y=sin(x)
let X~uniform[0,pi/2]
compute density of fy(y) for Y.

my attempt
------------
arcsin(Y) = X

fx(arcsinY)
-------------- = sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY)
(1/sqrt(1-y^2))
You're pretty much done at this point (though you need to check your algebra/calculus). The idea is that

[tex]f_X(x)\,dx = f_Y(y)\,dy[/tex]

so that

[tex]f_Y(y) = \frac{f_X(x)}{|dy/dx|}[/tex]

Then it's just a matter of expressing the righthand side in terms of y. You can simplify your result a bit by evaluating what fx(arcsin Y) is equal to.
then

/\ arcsin(pi/2) sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY) dy
\
.\
\/ arcsin(0)

/\ infinity sqrt(1-y^2) * fx(arcsinY) dy
\
.\
\/ 0

and i am stuck here as i cannot evaluate this, i probably did something wrong earlier...
You're probably thinking of an alternate approach where you find the cumulative distribution function FY(y) first and then differentiate it to find fY(y). To find FY(y), you need to identify what Y≤y means in terms of X. In this case, you'd have

[tex]F_Y(y) = P(Y\le y) = P(X \le \arcsin y)[/tex]

Since you know fX(x), you can work out P(X≤arcsin y) to find FY(y). Once you have that, differentiate it to find fY(y).

If you can't tell what the error I'm alluding to in your first attempt, you might try using this method and seeing what answer you get. The difference might help you identify where you went wrong in the first attempt.

Last edited:

1. What is a "change in variable" question?

A "change in variable" question is a type of scientific question that asks how a specific variable or factor affects an outcome or phenomenon. It is often used in experiments or studies to determine the relationship between different variables.

2. How do you identify the variables in a "change in variable" question?

The independent variable is the factor that is intentionally changed or manipulated in an experiment. The dependent variable is the outcome or response that is measured. Other variables, known as control variables, are kept constant to ensure that any changes in the outcome are due to the independent variable.

3. What is the purpose of conducting a "change in variable" experiment?

The purpose of a "change in variable" experiment is to establish a cause-and-effect relationship between the independent and dependent variables. By changing only one variable at a time and keeping other variables constant, scientists can determine the specific effect of the independent variable on the outcome.

4. How do you analyze and interpret the results of a "change in variable" experiment?

To analyze the results, scientists typically graph the data and look for patterns or trends. They may also use statistical tests to determine if there is a significant difference between the control and experimental groups. The interpretation of the results should take into account the limitations of the experiment and any potential confounding factors.

5. What are some examples of "change in variable" questions?

Examples of "change in variable" questions include: How does the amount of sunlight affect plant growth? How does temperature impact the rate of chemical reactions? How does exercise frequency impact weight loss? How does the type of fertilizer affect crop yield? How does noise level affect productivity in the workplace?