Calculating Change in Velocity for a Baseball Player's Slide

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of change in velocity and average acceleration of a baseball player sliding to make a base. The player's initial speed is 10m/s and 0.5 seconds later, it becomes 8.0m/s. The player's mass is 80kg. After solving using the vector method, the magnitude of the change in velocity is 3.7m/s. The conversation also clarifies that the answer is the magnitude of the vector and not just one component.
Evales
The following diagram shows the path taken by the center of mass of a baseball player sliding along the ground in an attempt to make the base.

The player is moving at a speed of 10m/s just before the slide and his speed 0.5 seconds later is 8.0m/s. The mass of the player is 80kg

1a) Calculate the magnitude of his change in velocity during this 0.5second interval.
b) Calculate the average acceleration during the 0.5 second interval.

My answer:
cos20 = a/8
a = 7.52

10 - a = 2.48

Therefore the change in velocity is 2.48m/s

The actual answer:

3.7m/s

How do you do this kind of question?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    231.5 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a vector so if you set up a coordinate system you can find the velocity change and then the magnitude more easily.

What do you mean? I tried tried solving it as a vector. How should I tackle this?

In you calculation you've only found one component.

That is true but the answer too has only one component. Finding the change in direction won't make my answer 3.7m/s ??

Yes but the answer is the magnitude of a vector (i.e. its length).

Thanks! I got it. I couldn't quite understand what you meant. Sorry, you meant vector subtraction right??

Thanks a bunch : )

1. How is the change in velocity calculated for a baseball player's slide?

The change in velocity for a baseball player's slide is calculated by subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity. This gives the overall change in speed and direction during the slide.

2. What factors affect the change in velocity for a baseball player's slide?

The factors that affect the change in velocity for a baseball player's slide include the initial speed and direction of the player, the friction between the player and the ground, and any external forces acting on the player during the slide.

3. How does the angle of the slide affect the change in velocity for a baseball player?

The angle of the slide can affect the change in velocity for a baseball player by changing the direction of the player's motion. A steeper slide angle will result in a greater change in velocity compared to a shallower slide angle.

4. Can the change in velocity for a baseball player's slide be negative?

Yes, the change in velocity for a baseball player's slide can be negative if the player decelerates or changes direction during the slide. This means the player is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction compared to their initial velocity.

5. How is the change in velocity for a baseball player's slide related to their momentum?

The change in velocity for a baseball player's slide is related to their momentum through Newton's Second Law of Motion. The change in momentum is equal to the product of mass and change in velocity. This means that the greater the change in velocity during the slide, the greater the change in momentum for the player.