Is Changing My Username on an Online Forum a Good Idea?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the author is debating whether or not to change their username. They feel like their relationship with the members of the forum has recently become less happy, and they have made a lot of embarrassing posts. However, there is a certain kind of sadness associated with a name change. They feel attached to the name "ehrenfest" that appears next to all their posts, and if they changed their username, this tie would be immediately severed. They mention that WE've had members before who got off...lightly...with changing their name, but it's really not worth the trouble or the heartache.
ehrenfest
I am debating whether I should change my username. I want a chance to start over again. I feel like my relationship with the members of PF has recently become less happy. Also, I have made A LOT of VERY embarrassing posts in the homework help section and here in GD. The beautiful thing about a cyber-existence is that you can always restart from post #1 with just a few clicks of the mouse and some taps on the keyboard. No need to get a face-lift and a sex-change and go to court and change my legal name or anything.

However, there is a certain kind of sadness associated with such a name change. I have become attached to the name "ehrenfest" that appears next to all of my posts. I feel like a have a interesting electronic relationship with the other members of the forum that is mediated through the name ehrenfest next to my posts. I have "history" with a lot of the members here such as Moonbear, jimmysnyder, Dick, morphism. If I changed my username, this tie would be immediately severed (in one direction of course).

It would feel so awkward to have a new username! People would see my post counter with less than 100 posts and think that I am only a PF virgin when really I have penetrated into each of the subforums in PF and am very familiar with the beauty of all of them.

Anyway, if I do disappear one of these days, rest assured that I will instantaneously be reborn into another username with a tabula rasa ahead of me.

Ahh, there is quite a fascinating social milieu in this online community thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a policy AGAINST multiple user names. Stick with the one you have and do your best to improve if you don't like your past here. We've had many members markedly improve over the years...it's nice to watch people mature and if you sincerely work on improving, you'll gain a lot of respect. We really don't hold grudges around here.

I couldn't pretend to be someone else.

If you've developed relationships with pf members, then let it grow.

Moonbear said:
We have a policy AGAINST multiple user names. Stick with the one you have and do your best to improve if you don't like your past here. We've had many members markedly improve over the years...it's nice to watch people mature and if you sincerely work on improving, you'll gain a lot of respect. We really don't hold grudges around here.

Where did I say anything about multiple usernames? I was talking about DELETING my current username and CREATING another one. Is it possible to delete a username?

You can request a change of username. You will retain your post count and profile. Only the name will be different (on all posts, past and future).

Gokul43201 said:
You can request a change of username. You will retain your post count and profile. Only the name will be different (on all posts, past and future).

WELL THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM THEN DOESNT IT...i wish you didnt post so sooooon, i could see this going in many different directions...

i say KEEP it...

Gokul...where did u get all them shiney medals from...?

i want one next to my name tooooo...does anyone know where i can get a medal form? or can you be charitable and donate me one of yours? (im sure no one would mind...)

Last edited:
When people get reincarnated, they lose any medals they earned in their previous life. I creep up behind them and sneak away with the fallen medals. :devil:

I'm evil and I eat charities for breakfast.

ehrenfest said:
Where did I say anything about multiple usernames? I was talking about DELETING my current username and CREATING another one.

You need to relax a little :smile:

ehrenfest said:
Is it possible to delete a username?

Talk to Greg; I think it has been done in the past.

Gokul43201 said:
When people get reincarnated, they lose any medals they earned in their previous life. I creep up behind them and sneak away with the fallen medals. :devil:

I'm evil and I eat charities for breakfast.

well all i have to say is that if he decides to reincarnate himself (how that would work?) he is sure lucky he doesn't have any medals then, otherwise he would lose them to you...mean beast...eating charities for breakfast...is that the sugar coated ones or the high in fibre ones?

Gokul43201 said:

That would probably make it really awkward when people refer to the old user name in old threads.

ehrenfest said:
That would probably make it really awkward when people refer to the old user name in old threads.

Another good reason not to change it.

We've had members before who got off to bad starts, and we later one joked we should give them medals for "most improved member"...and as hard as I try to rack my brains which members they are, I can't remember. That should show you that if you take a new approach to posting even with the same username, your past will be quickly forgotten (or maybe it just means I'm getting old and forgetful :rofl:).

Moonbear said:

We've had members before who got off to bad starts, and we later one joked we should give them medals for "most improved member"...and as hard as I try to rack my brains which members they are, I can't remember. That should show you that if you take a new approach to posting even with the same username, your past will be quickly forgotten (or maybe it just means I'm getting old and forgetful :rofl:).

OK. I guess my only option that does not violate PF guidelines and leaves me with a minimal amount of dignity is to reincarnate myself in the real world (by the method I described above: sex-change, legal name change, face-left) and THEN create a new account here at PF. Moonbear, you would not give me an infraction for that would you?

Moonbear said:

ME ME...IT WAS ME...GIVE ME A MEDAL...

:)

There were a few members that came very close to being banned that now have medals. A bad start can be erased by a good posting history.

ehrenfest, you could add a signature that explains your "fresh start" approach to your cyber-existance.

you're acting like a tool as if the virtual world had some overwhelming influence on your real world existence

I wouldn't change my name if I was in your place, ehrenfest, especially if you like the name! As said previously by MB, you will gain much more respect here if you keep your name and make a sincere and honest effort to change what you think has gotten you off to a rough start with some members.

Changing your username basically amounts to hiding from those issues and trying to forget, while keeping your name and trying to sincerely improve yourself and your reputation takes much more maturity and diligence. Thus, the latter path is bound to bring you more respect in the end.

amz8601 said:
does anyone know where i can get a medal form? or can you be charitable and donate me one of yours?

There are several ways to obtain a medal:

1)Contribute to PF monetarily to gain the Contributor medal. (Click on the Upgrade link at the top of the page.)

2)Provide quality help in the homework forums on a regular basis to obtain the Homework Helper Medal.

3)Demonstrate a wide knowledge of a scientific field in the forums to obtain the Science Advisor Medal.

4)Be appointed as a Mentor or Admin and then retire to gain the Retired Staff Medal.Other than the first medal, these all require a lot knowledge and a lot of time to be devoted to PF, so don't expect to be awarded one instantly. But, to be sure, if you fulfill the requirements and show that you are deserving of any of those recognitions, you will be given them.

Okay, I will make it clear one last time..."reincarnation" is not permitted here. If we find that someone has created two or more usernames to circumvent their posting history, there is a strong chance that ALL their usernames will be banned. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here that the ideas presented here will be entertained. And, with that, I'm closing the thread.

1. Should I change my username if I am unhappy with it?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the reason for your dissatisfaction with your current username. If your username is causing you discomfort or embarrassment, then it may be worth considering changing it. However, if it is simply a matter of not liking it, you may want to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.

2. Will changing my username affect my online presence?

Yes, changing your username will likely affect your online presence. If you have a strong online presence and you change your username, it may take some time for people to recognize your new identity. On the other hand, if your online presence is not significant, changing your username may not have a significant impact.

3. What are the potential benefits of changing my username?

Changing your username can give you a fresh start and allow you to create a new online identity. It can also help you stand out and be more memorable to others. Additionally, if your current username contains personal information or is not professional, changing it can improve your online security and credibility.

4. Are there any drawbacks to changing my username?

Changing your username may cause confusion among your friends, followers, or connections who are used to your old username. It may also affect your search engine rankings if you have a website or blog with your username in the domain. Additionally, if you have a strong online presence with your current username, changing it may require you to rebuild your reputation and connections.

5. How do I choose a new username if I decide to change it?

When choosing a new username, consider using a combination of your name and interests or creating a unique and memorable username that reflects your personal brand. Make sure to also check if the username is available on the platforms you use and if it is not already being used by someone else. It may also be helpful to get feedback from friends or family before finalizing your new username.