Change Attitude: Student-Mentor Relationships in College

• Thread starter aspiring_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, a student should attend professors office hours if they are genuinely interested in the material and have done the necessary work to understand it. If a student is only asking questions that the professor could easily answer from the material they are studying, then the student is likely a nuisance.
aspiring_one
So here's the thing. I'm a sophomore in college. I generally have this feeling that professors don't like to be bothered by their students after class (even office hours). I generally become hesitant to even go to office hours because I know that I could probably solve the problems I have given more time. I also get the feeling that whenever I am in their office hours asking for help they have this condescending attitude of "geez kid, can't you do this yourself? Why are you bothering me?" OF course they don't show it but I always feel that I'm bothering them. I then end up spending more time than is necessary for grinding away at those blasted challenge questions at the end of the chapter. This becomes especially troublesome toward the time of exams ( the grinding away at problems part). I want to get more out of my education by fostering a better student-mentor relationship but it seems hard to do so when I don't feel as welcome. Is there some point where a student can become too troublesome in making use of office hours? What is a good way to show the professor you're really curious about the material and want to learn more or need help with a concept without becoming a nuisance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't feel bad about attending professors office hours. They aren't doing their jobs for free, they're obligated to hold office hours and assist students. Some professors are just rude or have poor or awkward social habits or are just flat out too busy/stressed and you'll probably just have to deal with that. Put in a good effort, keep asking questions, and try to find professors you "click" with. Don't hope to force a good relationship where it can't happen.

Professors can get tired of being asked the same dumb question for the 100 billionth time. It's an occupational hazard. There isn't much the student can do about it. What professors often like to see is that the student has put effort into something before asking for help, so always make sure you've tried it first. And if you're able to solve stuff, even if it takes you longer, then what that actually means is that you might not have needed the help at all! You only think you do. ;-)

One thing you're paying the big bucks for is the opportunity to discuss the subject with the professor. So first off, you have a right to ask questions - even dumb ones.

The other thing, is sometimes discussing a particular question stops being about the question itself and moves off into interesting conversations.

As someone who's been on the other end, yes, there are dumb questions that you get asked a lot. The most annoying ones are, as pointed out above, those where the student clearly hasn't made any effort and just wants to get the answer. Students who are genuinely interested and who've made an effort are usually a relief to talk to.

lurky said:
What professors often like to see is that the student has put effort into something before asking for help

Just like we do here on PF in the homework forums. :smile:

In my experience, professors are always more than happy to answers my questions during office hours, as long as they are not questions that I could have figured on my own by spending a little extra time on the material I'm studying.

You've said you don't want to approach professors because you "have a feeling" that they don't want you there, even though "they don't show it".

How long have you had this power of mental telepathy? :smile: Seriously, all you've said is that despite all evidence to the contrary, you don't think the professors want you in their office during office hours. I don't think that's a very good reason to avoid them.

They have a responsibility to help you. You have the responsibility to have done the groundwork so that their help is useful to you.

My Calc I professor told our class that the most frustrating thing for a teacher is to see a student who needs help but doesn't ask for it. I've yet to have a professor who hasn't been thrilled that I've come to office hours. As others have mentioned, I'd encourage you to bring specific questions. I believe it's appreciated that you've put some work into trying to understand a concept before asking for help. Being efficient with your visit(s) doesn't only benefit you; it shows respect and courtesy for their time.

Is there an intermediate place you can go first, like a tutor center or a study group? After that, if you still have questions, I wouldn't hesitate seeing the prof.

aspiring_one said:
I then end up spending more time than is necessary for grinding away at those blasted challenge questions at the end of the chapter. This becomes especially troublesome toward the time of exams ( the grinding away at problems part).

One thing that you might want to do is find a study group or a friendly teaching assistant, and try to work with them. That way if you find that you have to talk to the professor, you'll at least know it that wasn't a trivial issue.

The other thing is that professors are very, very different from each other. Some are friendly. Some are unfriendly. Some can explain concepts well. For some, they'll leave you even more confused than when you started.

Vanadium 50 said:
You've said you don't want to approach professors because you "have a feeling" that they don't want you there, even though "they don't show it".

How long have you had this power of mental telepathy? :smile: Seriously, all you've said is that despite all evidence to the contrary, you don't think the professors want you in their office during office hours. I don't think that's a very good reason to avoid them.

They have a responsibility to help you. You have the responsibility to have done the groundwork so that their help is useful to you.

Well i guess you're correct. I go to a research university and the professors are known to talk more about their research than the subject material. Although, this is a stereotype.

Thank you all for your inputs! I'll work harder at working harder.
If there are any more thoughts, please go on.

1. What is the importance of student-mentor relationships in college?

The relationship between a student and mentor is crucial for academic success, personal growth, and career development in college. A mentor can offer guidance, support, and valuable insights that can help a student navigate their academic journey and make the most out of their college experience.

2. How can students improve their attitude towards their mentors?

To improve their attitude towards their mentors, students can start by being open-minded, respectful, and proactive in seeking guidance and feedback. It's also important for students to communicate their needs and expectations clearly and to establish a positive and professional relationship with their mentors.

3. Can a negative attitude towards a mentor affect a student's academic performance?

Yes, a negative attitude towards a mentor can have a significant impact on a student's academic performance. It can hinder effective communication, limit the student's ability to learn from their mentor, and create a negative learning environment. Additionally, a negative attitude can also affect a student's motivation and engagement in their academic pursuits.

4. What are some ways to foster a positive student-mentor relationship?

Some ways to foster a positive student-mentor relationship include setting clear expectations, actively listening to each other, showing appreciation and respect, and engaging in open and honest communication. Additionally, both students and mentors can also make an effort to get to know each other on a personal level, which can help build trust and rapport.

5. How can colleges support student-mentor relationships?

Colleges can support student-mentor relationships by providing resources and opportunities for students and mentors to connect and collaborate. This can include mentorship programs, workshops or seminars on effective communication and relationship-building, and creating a supportive and inclusive campus culture that values student-mentor relationships.