Can a Change of Basis Simplify Linear Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of changing basis in linear algebra, particularly in solving equations and finding simpler representations of linear maps. This is helpful in proving theorems and solving various problems.
computerages
Hello!

I was wondering if someone can tell me about any application to change of basis... The application can be of any sort, though.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one from Lang's linear algebra that's pretty nice.

A is a nxn symmetric matrix
X(t) is given in terms of coordinates which are functions of t (x1(t),x2(t),...,xn(t))

We want to find all the solutions to dX(t)/dt = AX(t)
We change our basis to an orthonormal basis with eigenvectors from A. Let this new coordinates be represented by y1,y2,...yn. Thus the linear map represented by A in the first basis is now a diagonal matrix where the entries are the eigenvalues of A.
Thus with respect to the new coordinates the general equation is dy_i/dt = lamda_i*y
y_i = c*e^lamda_i

In short, changing the basis made solving the diff eq trivial.

a linear map can usually be represented by infinitely many different matrices, i.e. those matrices form an "orbit" under the action of the group of all invertible matrices, by conjugation.now in that huge array of matrices, it is quite likely there are some which are simpler than others, and thus which reveal more clearly the behavior of the map, and its suitability for the problem you have at hand.

in the example above the problem was to solve a differential equation, but it could be to solve any other linear problem.

the first skill often learned in computational linear algebra courses, gaussian elimination, is a change of basis operation designed to produce from an arbitrary matrix of equations, a matrix whose solutions are readily visible.one version of the implicit function theorem in calculus says that after a change of variables, essentially a non linear change of basis, every smooth function with surjective derivative becomes a linear projection.

interesting theorems like the cayley hamilton theorem, which are true for all linear maps, are more easily proved for special matrix representations like diagonal matrices. the density of such matrices then implies the result for all matrices.

the point is that anything you want to prove is probably easier for a diagonal matrix than an arbitrary one. then you can use density or else try to se if your result is also clear for jordan matrices, or rational canonical ones.

Question 1: What is a change of basis application?

A change of basis application is a mathematical process used in linear algebra to transform a vector from one coordinate system to another. It involves changing the basis (set of coordinate axes) used to represent a vector, while keeping the vector itself unchanged.

Question 2: Why is a change of basis important?

A change of basis is important because it allows for easier representation and manipulation of vectors in different coordinate systems. It is especially useful in solving complex problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve multiple coordinate systems.

Question 3: How is a change of basis performed?

A change of basis is typically performed using a matrix transformation. The original vector is multiplied by a transformation matrix, which is made up of the basis vectors of the new coordinate system. This results in a new vector represented in the new coordinate system.

Question 4: What is the difference between a change of basis and a change of coordinates?

While similar, a change of basis and a change of coordinates are different processes. A change of basis involves transforming the basis vectors used to represent a vector, while a change of coordinates involves transforming the actual coordinates of a vector. A change of basis is a more fundamental mathematical concept, while a change of coordinates is a practical application of that concept.

Question 5: What are some real-world applications of change of basis?

Change of basis has many real-world applications, including image processing, signal processing, and data compression. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate, scale, and transform objects in 3D space. In physics, it is used to analyze the motion of objects in different reference frames. Additionally, change of basis is used in finance and economics to analyze and forecast data series in different currencies or units of measurement.