Linear Mapping T: P2 to P2 with Basis B | Homework Help & Solution Explained"

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix representation of a linear mapping in relation to a given basis. The steps to find T(1), T(t), and T(t^2) are outlined, and it is noted that these steps may be omitted in some sources. However, it is important to choose the appropriate values for a0, a1, and a2 when finding T(1), T(t), and T(t^2).
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Problem is assuming the mapping T: P2---->P2 defined by T(a0+a1t+a2t2)=3a0+(5a0-2a1)t+(4a1+a2)t^2 is linear. Find the matrix representation of T relative to Basis B={1,t,t^2}.
The part that I am confused on is when I go plug in the basis values T(1),T(t),and T(t^2)? I don't know how to do it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find T(1) its just T(1+0t+0t2)=3a0+5a0t

To find T(t) is just T(0+a1(t)+0T2)=3(0)+(5(0)-2a1)t+(4a1+0)t^2=-2a1t+4a1t^2

T(t^2)= T(0+0t+a2t^2)=3(0)+(5(0)-2(0))t+(4(0)+a2)t^2=a2T2

Usually in lots of books they omit steps like these and I'm trying to figure them out. Is this a correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find T(1) its just T(1+0t+0t2)=3a0+5a0t

To find T(t) is just T(0+a1(t)+0T2)=3(0)+(5(0)-2a1)t+(4a1+0)t^2=-2a1t+4a1t^2

T(t^2)= T(0+0t+a2t^2)=3(0)+(5(0)-2(0))t+(4(0)+a2)t^2=a2T2

Usually in lots of books they omit steps like these and I'm trying to figure them out. Is this a correct way?

This is the right idea, but to get [itex]T(1)[/itex] you take [itex]a_0 = 1[/itex], [itex]a_1 = 0[/itex], and [itex]a_2 = 0[/itex] so that [itex]T(1) = 3 + 5t[/itex]. Similarly for the other two basis vectors.

Oh ok. So for T(t) just let a0=0, a1=1 and a2=0 and for T(t^2) just let a0=0,a1=0 and a2=1?

That looks like the standard basis {e1,e2,e3}

What is a linear mapping?

A linear mapping, also known as a linear transformation, is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the linear structure of the original space.

What is P2?

P2 is a vector space, also known as a polynomial space, that contains all polynomials of degree 2 or less. This means that any polynomial with a degree of 2 or less can be represented as a linear combination of the basis elements in P2.

What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. In the context of linear mapping T: P2 to P2 with basis B, B represents the basis of P2 and is used as a reference for mapping between the two vector spaces.

How does linear mapping work in P2 using basis B?

In linear mapping T: P2 to P2 with basis B, each vector in P2 is represented as a linear combination of the basis elements in B. The mapping is then applied to each basis element, resulting in a new set of basis vectors for the transformed P2 space.

What is the purpose of using a basis in linear mapping?

Using a basis in linear mapping allows for a more simplified and efficient calculation of the transformation. It also helps to clearly define the relationship between the original and transformed spaces, making it easier to analyze and understand the mapping process.