What is the matrix of T with respect to the basis (2,1),(1,-2)?

In summary: Can you please help me understand this better?In summary, the matrix of T with respect to the new basis is (2,1),(1,-2).
lockedup

Homework Statement

Recall that the matrix for [tex]T: R^{2} \rightarrow R^{2}[/tex] defined by rotation through an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to the standard basis for [tex]R^{2}[/tex] is

[tex]\[A =\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\sin \theta & cos\theta \\\end{array}\]\right][/tex]

a) What is the matrix of T with respect to the basis (2,1),(1,-2)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here's the deal, I missed this particular lecture last week. I'm trying to teach myself this concept of changing basis. Here's one of my homework problems. Can you please check it?

alpha = standard basis, beta = new basis

I(1,0) = a(2,1) + b(1,-2) --> a = .4, b = .2
I(0,1) = a(2,1) + b(1,-2) --> a = .2, b = -.4

[tex]\[[I^{\beta}_{\alpha}] = \begin{array}{cc} .4 & .2 \\ .2 & -.4 \\ \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\[[I^{\beta}_{\alpha}]^{-1} = (\frac{1}{.4(-.4)-.2(.2)})\begin{array}{cc} -.4 & -.2 \\ -.2 & .4 \\ \end{array}
= -5(\begin{array}{cc} -.4 & -.2 \\ -.2 & .4 \\ \end{array})
= \begin{array}{cc} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & -2 \\ \end{array}[/tex]

The new transformation matrix should be [tex][I^{\beta}_{\alpha}]^{-1}A[I^{\beta}_{\alpha}] = (\begin{array}{cc} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & -2 \\ \end{array})(\begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & -sin \theta \\sin \theta & cos\theta \\\end{array})(\begin{array}{cc} .4 & .2 \\ .2 & -.4 \\ \end{array}) = \begin{array}{cc}cos \theta & sin \theta \\ -sin \theta & cos \theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is almost correct. You just got the two transformation matrices backwards.

I just remember the order like this. Your I matrix (not the best letter to use) converts coordinates from the standard basis to the new basis, and its inverse goes from the new basis to the standard basis. The matrix A works on vectors in the standard basis. So suppose you have a vector x expressed in the new basis and you want to see what T does to it. First, you multiply I-1 to convert it to the standard basis, giving you I-1x. Once it's expressed in the standard basis, you can use A to calculate what T does to it, so now you have AI-1x. But A gives you a result that still in the standard basis, so you need to convert back to the new basis. The end result is T(x)=IAI-1x.

You're right, I is not the best letter to use. I think my professor used it for "identity mapping".

Anyways, I looked at a half-example from my teacher's notes. (She writes everything down on a smart board and saves it.) She put alpha = new basis and beta = standard basis and I got confused.

1. What is a change of basis in linear algebra?

A change of basis refers to the process of representing a vector or a linear transformation in terms of a different set of basis vectors. This is often done to simplify calculations or to better understand the behavior of a vector or transformation in a different coordinate system.

2. Why is a change of basis important in linear algebra?

A change of basis allows us to express vectors and transformations in different coordinate systems, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different coordinate systems and how they affect the representation of vectors and transformations.

3. How is a change of basis performed?

A change of basis is performed by first finding the transformation matrix that maps the original basis to the new basis. Then, the original vector or transformation is multiplied by this transformation matrix to obtain the new representation in the new basis.

4. What is the relationship between a change of basis and a change of coordinates?

A change of basis is closely related to a change of coordinates, as both involve representing a vector or transformation in terms of a different set of basis vectors. However, a change of basis is a more general concept that can be applied to any vector or transformation, while a change of coordinates specifically refers to changing the coordinates of a vector in a given basis.

5. How does a change of basis affect vector operations?

A change of basis does not affect the magnitude or direction of a vector, as these properties are intrinsic to the vector itself. However, the representation of the vector in terms of the new basis may have different components and may require different calculations for operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.