Understanding Change of Basis in N-Dimensional Space

Overall, the change of indices allows us to rewrite the equation in a simpler form, making it easier to work with and understand. In summary, the conversation discusses the change of indices in an N-dimensional space and how it simplifies the equation to make it easier to understand and work with.
Grand

Homework Statement

Could someone help me understand the following manipulations concerning change of babsis in an N-dimensional space:
[tex]|i'\right\rangle=R|i\right\rangle=\sum_{j=1}^NR_{ji}|j\right\rangle[/tex]
multiply around by [tex](R^{-1})_{ik}[/tex]
[tex](R^{-1})_{ik}|i'\right\rangle=\sum_{j=1}^NR_{ji}(R^{-1})_{ik}|j\right\rangle[/tex]
and then they say that after a change of indices, we get:
[tex]|i\right\rangle=\sum_{j=1}^NR^{-1}_{ji}|j' \right\rangle[/tex]
However, I can't understand how do we gat the summation symbol on the LHS and how exactly do we do this change of indices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equation given in the problem statement is |i'\right\rangle=R|i\right\rangle=\sum_{j=1}^NR_{ji}|j\right\rangleThe Attempt at a Solution I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I think that the change of indices is done by replacing the |i'\rangle on the left-hand side with |i\rangle, since they are equal according to the equation given in the problem statement. Then, the summation symbol on the left-hand side is added by using the fact that R|i\rangle can be written as a sum of terms.

1. What is a change of basis in N-dimensional space?

A change of basis in N-dimensional space refers to the process of transforming a set of coordinates from one basis to another. In other words, it is a way to represent the same vector or point in space using a different set of basis vectors. This is commonly used in linear algebra and can help simplify complex calculations.

2. Why is understanding change of basis important?

Understanding change of basis is important because it allows us to work with vectors and matrices in a more flexible and efficient manner. It also helps us to visualize and analyze data in different coordinate systems, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How is a change of basis performed?

A change of basis is performed by finding the transformation matrix that maps the original basis vectors to the new basis vectors. This involves solving a system of linear equations using the coordinates of the original basis vectors and the coordinates of the new basis vectors.

4. What is the relationship between the original vector and its representation in a new basis?

The relationship between the original vector and its representation in a new basis is given by the transformation matrix. The original vector can be transformed into its new representation by multiplying it with the transformation matrix.

5. Can a change of basis be applied to any vector or matrix?

Yes, a change of basis can be applied to any vector or matrix in N-dimensional space. However, the transformation matrix may not be unique, and the resulting representation may differ depending on the chosen basis.