Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of Basis

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    Suppose a change of basis from basis ##B## to basis ##C## is represented by the matrix ##S##.
    That is, ##S## is the transformation matrix from ##B## to ##C##.

Now if ##t## is a given linear transformation, ##t:~V\rightarrow V##, with eigenvectors ##\epsilon_i##, say, and ##T## is the representation of ##t## in ##B##, then, the representation of t in ##C## is ##STS^{-1}##.

Now, if the representation of ##\epsilon_i## in basis ##B## be ##v^B_i##, then the representation of ##\epsilon_i## in basis ##C##, ##v^C_i=Sv^B_i##.

But shouldn't the vectors themselves transform in an opposite sense to the transformation of the basis, that is, shouldn't it be that ##v^C_i=S^{-1}v^B_i## ? I'm getting really confused. Please, can someone clarify?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I agree with what you have here.
    Remember that S:B-->C. So what would it mean to take the inverse on something in B? As in:
    ##v^C_i=S^{-1}v^B_i##.

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's write ##B=(e_1,\dots,e_n)##, ##C=(f_1,\dots,f_n)##. Let ##T## be the linear operator such that ##Te_i=f_i## for all ##i##. I won't be writing any summation sigmas. There's always a sum over the index or indices that appear exactly twice. We have
    \begin{align}
    ([x]_B)_j e_j =x=([x]_C)_i f_i =([x]_C)_i Te_i = ([x]_C)_i (Te_i)_j e_j =([x]_C)_i ([T]_B)_{ji} e_j=([T]_B[x]_C)_j e_j.
    \end{align} This implies that ##[x]_B=[T]_B[x]_C##. If we define ##S=([T]_B)^{-1}##, we can write this as ##[x]_C=S[x]_B##, or equivalently as
    $$([x]_C)_i =S_{ij} ([x]_B)_j.$$ We also have
    $$f_i=Te_i =(Te_i)_j e_j =([T]_B)_{ji} e_j =(S^{-1})_{ji} e_j.$$

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know it's all about the base, about the base.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook