How can you calculate change in length without force and area units?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between stress, Young's modulus, and length, and how to calculate the change in length without knowledge of force and area units. The participants also touch on the importance of units in determining the dimensions of a measurement and the use of formulas.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
Change of length formula when you don t have the AREA and the FORCE unit.
Relevant Equations
Change of length formula when you don t have the AREA and the FORCE unit.
I have the STRESS , YOUNG S MODULUS ,and the LENGTH .
How can you discover the CHANGE IN LENGTH when you don t have the FORCE and AREA unit ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What stress do you have ? What does it mean ?

I meant I have the unit of the stress 4 x 10 2 (the 2 is little on the 10 )

I don't see no units ?

I just asked the question without giving the measurements .I think it s enough .

Good. Then you are all set.

Is it change of length = strain x length ?

With units I mean things that tell you the dimension in terms of kg, m and s, the so-called SI units.
I don't care about the numerical value, that's only needed when you need to calculate.

ok thanks , I wish to have all the formulas possible to need in any case .

1. How do you calculate change in length without using force and area units?

To calculate change in length without force and area units, you can use the formula: change in length = initial length * coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature.

2. What is the coefficient of linear expansion and how is it related to change in length?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when exposed to a change in temperature. It is directly related to the change in length, as shown in the formula: change in length = initial length * coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature.

3. Can you calculate change in length using only temperature and material properties?

Yes, you can calculate change in length using only temperature and material properties such as the coefficient of linear expansion. This is because the change in length is directly proportional to the change in temperature and the material's coefficient of linear expansion.

4. Is it possible to calculate change in length without knowing the initial length?

No, it is not possible to calculate change in length without knowing the initial length. The initial length is an essential component in the formula for calculating change in length. Without it, the calculation would be incomplete.

5. How do you determine the coefficient of linear expansion for a material?

The coefficient of linear expansion for a material can be determined through experiments or by consulting a materials database. It is a unique property of each material and can vary depending on factors such as temperature and composition.