Changing Order of Integration: A Refresher for Finals

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of changing the order of integration for a given integral, specifically from left to right to right to left. The conversation also mentions the two possible solutions for the integral, one using a geometric argument and the other using algebraic manipulations. Ultimately, the original answer is confirmed to be correct.
rocomath
Ok, need refresher b4 finals!

Change order of integration

[tex]\int_{-2}^0\int_0^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

to

[tex]\int_0^2\int_{-\sqrt{4-y^2}}^0f(x,y)dxdy[/tex] going from right to left, and the fact that my original integral is the part of the circle in quadrant 2, it should be [tex]x=-\sqrt{4-y^2}[/tex]

or

[tex]\int_0^2\int_0^{\sqrt{4-y^2}}f(x,y)dxdy[/tex] this is my original answer, but now I'm thinking it's the 1st one :-\

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your geometric argument looks correct. You can argue in a purely algebraic fashion too -- you need to argue in two steps:

(1) Starting with the inequations [itex]-2 \leq x \leq 0[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq y \leq \sqrt{4 - x^2}[/itex], derive the inequations [itex] 0 \leq y \leq 2[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{4 - y^2} \leq x \leq 0[/itex].

(2) Starting with the inequations [itex] 0 \leq y \leq 2[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{4 - y^2} \leq x \leq 0[/itex], derive the inequations [itex]-2 \leq x \leq 0[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq y \leq \sqrt{4 - x^2}[/itex]

If you can do that, then you will have (algebraically!) shown that those two pairs of inequations describe the same shape.

Hurkyl, my brain is fried ... lol. What do you mean by inequations?

My original integral

[tex]0\leq y\leq\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex] is the positive semi circle

[tex]-2\leq x\leq 0[/tex] so i now have just a quarter of a circle in quadrant 2

Last edited:
He means the inequalities. If you can show by means of inequality maniupulations that you can start with one form and arrive at the other, as well as vice versa, then you would have have shown that the region under consideration is the same, ie. you have sucessfully obtained the correct limits for the change of order in integration. Your method is purely graphical, which is also fine.

So both answers are correct? :O :O :O

Your original answer is correct.

1. What is "Change of Order Integration"?

"Change of Order Integration" refers to the process of rearranging the order of integration in a multiple integral. This technique is commonly used in mathematics and physics to simplify integrals and make them easier to solve.

2. Why is "Change of Order Integration" useful?

"Change of Order Integration" can be useful when solving complicated integrals, as it can make the integral easier to evaluate. It can also help to reveal hidden symmetries in the integral, making it easier to solve using other techniques.

3. How do you perform "Change of Order Integration"?

To perform "Change of Order Integration", you first need to identify the new order of integration that will make the integral easier to solve. Then, you need to rewrite the integral in terms of the new order and make any necessary substitutions. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using standard integration techniques.

4. What are some common applications of "Change of Order Integration"?

"Change of Order Integration" is commonly used in physics to solve problems involving multiple variables, such as calculating the center of mass or moment of inertia of an object. It is also used in mathematics to solve complicated integrals, particularly in the field of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to "Change of Order Integration"?

While "Change of Order Integration" can be a useful technique, it is not always possible to use it to simplify an integral. In some cases, the new order of integration may not make the integral any easier to solve, or there may not be a clear way to rearrange the integral. Additionally, this technique may not work for integrals with certain types of boundaries or functions.