1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of origin

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On shifting the origin to a point P, the axes remaining parallel to the old axes,the equation ax+by+c=0 is transferred to ax+by+c+k=0.Show that the locus of P is the straight line ax+by=k.

2. Relevant equation
    1. ax+by+c=0
    2. ax'+by'+c+k=0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    In the first equation ax+by+c=0 i put x=x'+h and y=y'+k'and then i subtract first and second equation but only one equation is obtained now I don't know how to find the value of h and k'.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2016 #2
    Have you tried graphing it? I just used https://www.desmos.com/calculator. Not that I'm affiliated with the site but it's a good resource. To keep it simple I let both a and b = 1 and c=0. Then for the second line, plug in whatever value you wish for k. Remember that k becomes negative when it passes the equal sign. That might stimulate some ideas for you.

4. Aug 5, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All you have to show is that P is on that line; you don't have to find P.
    Note that your h has something to do with the x coordinate of P and the (unhappily chosen) k' has something to do with the y coordinate of P :smile:

5. Aug 5, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Part of the problem (and a possible source of confusion) is the problem's use of the same names x and y to stand for two different things. It might have been better if the problem stated that the new coordinate axes x' and y' are parallel to the old axes x and y, and the equation ax + by + c = 0 is transferred to ax' + by' + c + k = 0.

Note that parallel axes means that x' = x - u and y' = y - v for some constants u and v. The origin of the (x',y') system is at x = u and y = v in the old (x,y) system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted