Change of State and Enthelpy; Limiting Reactants

In summary, the first problem involves finding the final temperature of coffee after an ice cube is dropped in, given the amount of thermal energy required to melt the ice. The second problem involves balancing a chemical equation based on the moles of reactants and products given.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

An ice cube is dropped into a cup containing 196 grams of coffee at 97 degrees C. The thermal energy used to melt the ice is 2.1 kJ. What is the final temperature of the coffee? Assume the specific heat of the coffee is the same as water.

Problem 2:

6 moles of reactant A are mixed with 12 moles of reactant B to produce 9 moles of product C with 3 moles of reactant B left over after the reaction. What is the balanced chemical equation?

Homework Equations

q=mcΔt

balanced equations has lowest whole number coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1:

The solid ice must first reach 0 degrees C. Then it must undergo a phase change at this temperature from a solid to liquid. This requires 2100 Joules of energy as given in the problem. This energy is equivalent to the energy the coffee gives up; this energy comes from the coffee; heat flows from the coffee to the ice cube.

2100 = 195 grams of coffee * 4.184 * (T - 97)

T = 94.42 degrees C.

Problem 2:

The 3 remaining moles imply that only 9 moles of reactant B are required to react with 6 moles of reactant A to form 9 moles of product C.

Therefore,

6A + 9B ---> 9C

Which reduces to

3A + 2B ---> 3C.

Am I right? I believe I am but these problems came without solutions and I'm working these old exam problems in preparation for my chemistry test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Just a small error though, it should 97-T instead of T-97. The temperature of coffee decreases.

1. What is a change of state in terms of chemistry?

A change of state in chemistry refers to the physical transformation of a substance from one state of matter to another. This can include changes from solid to liquid (melting), liquid to gas (evaporation), solid to gas (sublimation), and vice versa.

2. How does a change of state affect the enthalpy of a substance?

A change of state usually involves a transfer of heat energy, which affects the enthalpy (or heat content) of a substance. For example, when a substance changes from a solid to a liquid, heat energy is absorbed, increasing the enthalpy. Conversely, when a substance changes from a gas to a liquid, heat energy is released, decreasing the enthalpy.

3. What is the relationship between limiting reactants and chemical reactions?

A limiting reactant is the substance that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction, thereby limiting the amount of product that can be formed. This is because the amount of product formed is dependent on the amount of limiting reactant present.

4. How can the concept of limiting reactants be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of limiting reactants is important in industries that involve chemical reactions, such as manufacturing and pharmaceuticals. By understanding the limiting reactant, companies can determine the most efficient and cost-effective way to produce a desired product.

5. Can multiple reactants be limiting in a chemical reaction?

Yes, it is possible for multiple reactants to be limiting in a chemical reaction. This occurs when the amounts of two or more reactants are not in the correct ratio to completely react with each other. In such cases, the reactant that is more limiting (i.e. produces less product) is considered the limiting reactant.