Solving Unit Conversion Problems: Changing from ft to gal/min

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with converting units in a physics equation. The original equation is in feet and cubic feet per second, but the book converts it to feet and gallons per minute. The book uses a conversion factor of 2.2*10^-5 to make the conversion, but the person in the conversation is having trouble reproducing the same result. The solution involves finding the units for the conversion factor and using conversion ratios to get the correct result.
maack_j
I think this problem is straightforward , but I'm not used to these units. (Normally I use SI units)

From a physics book (U.S version ) I have this equation:

##h=10 + 4.43*Q^2##

where the unit of ##h=[ft]##, and ##Q=[ft^3/s]##

now the book rewrites the above equation, such that ##Q=[gal/min]## and get

##h=10 + 2.2*10^{-5}*Q^2##I just can't see what the book does to get from the first equation to the secound. Can anyone help me with this?

Best regard
J. Maack

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Gallon is equal to 0.133681 ft3.
Does that math work out?

Knowing that 1 gal = 0.1337 ft3, can you do it?

[Edit: beaten by RUber...]

DrClaude said:
Knowing that 1 gal = 0.1337 ft3, can you do it?

[Edit: beaten by RUber...]
I can't get the same result as the book with that 1 gal = 0.1337 ft3

What i do is
##4.43*(1/60^2)*0.1337##

Isn't that correct?

maack_j said:
I can't get the same result as the book with that 1 gal = 0.1337 ft3

What i do is
##4.43*(1/60^2)*0.1337##

Isn't that correct?
Nope.

Personally, I don't like those kind of equations which work only for certain choices of units. So do as I do, start by figuring out what the units of the factor 4.43 have to be for the original equation to hold.

DrClaude said:
Nope.

Personally, I don't like those kind of equations which work only for certain choices of units. So do as I do, start by figuring out what the units of the factor 4.43 have to be for the original equation to hold.

The unit for 4.43 would be ##[s^2/ft^5]## for the equation to hold.

maack_j said:
The unit for 4.43 would be ##[s^2/ft^5]## for the equation to hold.
That's correct, but to simplify further calculations, keep the volume in there (and the units of h): [ft (s/ft3)2]. Now you should be able to do the conversion to [gal/s].

Likes maack_j
DrClaude said:
That's correct, but to simplify further calculations, keep the volume in there (and the units of h): [ft (s/ft3)2]. Now you should be able to do the conversion to [gal/s].

Perfect! Tanks

First, in order for this to makes sense the different units must measure the same thing! That is the case here- both "cubic feet" and "gallons" measure volume, both "seconds" and "minutes" measure time. "cubic feet per second" and "gallons per minute" measure how fast volume is changing- perhaps how fast a liquid is moving through a pipe.

h, in the first equation is in feet and Q is in cubic feet per second. But Q is squared so [itex]Q^2[/itex] has units of "cubic feet squared" (or feet to the sixth power) over "seconds squared". That tells us that the "10" must have units of feet and the "4.43" must have units of "seconds squared over feet to the fifth power": [itex]\frac{s^2}{ft^5}\times\frac{ft^6}{s^2}= ft[/itex] which can then be added to the "10 ft" to get "h ft".

In the second equation, h is still in feet but now Q is in gallons per minute so the "[itex]2.2*10^{-5}[/itex]" must have units of [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}[/tex] so that [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}\times\frac{gal^2}{min^2}= ft[/itex] again. There are about 7.48 cubic feet per gallon (I had to look that up) and 60 seconds per minute (that I did not).
That gives [itex]\frac{1}{7.48} \frac{gal}{ft^3}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{60} \frac{min}{sec}[/itex] so [itex]\frac{1}{7.48^2} \frac{gal^2}{ft^6}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{3600}\frac{min^2}{sec^2}[/itex] So our conversion, from [itex]\frac{s^2}{ft^5}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}[/itex] can be done by
[tex]\left(4.43\frac{sec^2}{ft^5}\right)\times\left(\frac{1}{60}\frac{min}{sec}\right)^2\left(\frac{1}{7.48}\frac{gal}{ft^3}\right)^2= \left(4.43\right)\left(\frac{1}{3600}\right)s\left(\frac{1}{55.95}\right)= 2.18\times 10^{-5}[/tex]

That's not exactly the same as the given "[itex]2.2\times 10^{-5}[/itex]", perhaps because of round-off error, but that's the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First, in order for this to makes sense the different units must measure the same thing! That is the case here- both "cubic feet" and "gallons" measure volume, both "seconds" and "minutes" measure time. "cubic feet per second" and "gallons per minute" measure how fast volume is changing- perhaps how fast a liquid is moving through a pipe.

h, in the first equation is in feet and Q is in cubic feet per second. But Q is squared so [itex]Q^2[/itex] has units of "cubic feet squared" (or feet to the sixth power) over "seconds squared". That tells us that the "10" must have units of feet and the "4.43" must have units of "seconds squared over feet to the fifth power": [itex]\frac{s^2}{ft^5}\times\frac{ft^6}{s^2}= ft[/itex] which can then be added to the "10 ft" to get "h ft".

In the second equation, h is still in feet but now Q is in gallons per minute so the "[itex]2.2*10^{-5}[/itex]" must have units of [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}[/tex] so that [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}\times\frac{gal^2}{min^2}= ft[/itex] again. There are about 7.48 cubic feet per gallon (I had to look that up) and 60 seconds per minute (that I did not).
That gives [itex]\frac{1}{7.48} \frac{gal}{ft^3}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{60} \frac{min}{sec}[/itex] so [itex]\frac{1}{7.48^2} \frac{gal^2}{ft^6}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{3600}\frac{min^2}{sec^2}[/itex] So our conversion, from [itex]\frac{s^2}{ft^5}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{min^2 ft}{gal^2}[/itex] can be done by
[tex]\left(4.43\frac{sec^2}{ft^5}\right)\times\left(\frac{1}{60}\frac{min}{sec}\right)^2\left(\frac{1}{7.48}\frac{gal}{ft^3}\right)^2= \left(4.43\right)\left(\frac{1}{3600}\right)s\left(\frac{1}{55.95}\right)= 2.18\times 10^{-5}[/tex]

That's not exactly the same as the given "[itex]2.2\times 10^{-5}[/itex]", perhaps because of round-off error, but that's the idea.
That should be 7.48 gal/ft3, not 7.48 ft3/gal.

Chet

1. What is a change of units problem?

A change of units problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves converting a given quantity from one unit of measurement to another. This is commonly used in science, engineering, and other fields where precise measurements are necessary.

2. Why is it important to be able to solve change of units problems?

Being able to solve change of units problems is important because it allows scientists to accurately communicate and compare measurements, regardless of the units used. It also ensures that calculations are done correctly and avoids errors due to using the wrong units.

3. What are some common units used in change of units problems?

Some common units used in change of units problems include length (such as meters, feet, or inches), mass (such as grams, kilograms, or pounds), time (such as seconds, minutes, or hours), and temperature (such as degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit).

4. What are some tips for solving change of units problems?

Some tips for solving change of units problems include identifying the given and desired units, using conversion factors or ratios to convert between units, and being careful with units that have prefixes (such as milli-, centi-, and kilo-).

5. How can I check if I have solved a change of units problem correctly?

You can check if you have solved a change of units problem correctly by making sure that the final units are what you were looking for and by doing a quick sanity check to see if the answer makes sense. You can also double check your calculations and ensure that you have used the correct conversion factors.