1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variable integral?

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral

∫∫sin(x+y)/(x+y) dydx over the region D

whereD⊆R2 is bounded by x+y=1, x+y=2, x-axis, and y-axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that I need to use a change of variables but can not find any change of variables that work. One thing I thought would work is using u = sin(x+y) and v = (x+y) but finding the jacobian doesn't work with the u transformation.
    This leads me to think I might need to do a taylor expansion instead.

Any help with a recommended change of variables or a step in the right way would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try something much simpler, but along similar lines.

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you make a sketch of D? If not, do so. Add to it lines of constant v=x+y to see why this is a good choice. That might give you an idea of what to use for u.

5. Jan 9, 2016 #4
    I sketched D and put in the constant v=x+y but still can not see any good change of variable for u. The sin is really causing me problems. I constantly think I need to make my "u' have the sin term in it but can not come up with anything that works

6. Jan 9, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Given the substitution v=x+y, what is the most obvious way to define u? (It does not involve a trig function.)

7. Jan 9, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You don't want the sine in the transformation. That's what haruspex was implying when he said to try something simpler.

8. Jan 9, 2016 #7
    1. Looking at my graph is seems to be convenient if I define u to be a constant, possibly u = 2? ... When I learnt change of variables I was told I would never need to come up with the change of variable myself so that is why I'm having some troubles. I appreciate the help.

9. Jan 9, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What expression for u would result in the u, v coordinate system being Cartesian?

10. Jan 10, 2016 #9
    I still am completely stuck. Any way I look at it I get stuck with something I can't integrate with the sin in the integral. I am working off the assumption that v = x+y is correct. This would make my integral something like ∫ sin(v)/v . My last thought is to make u = 1/x+y. But this still seems to give me some integral that I can't solve...

11. Jan 10, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Isn't u=y-x the most obvious choice, by a mile?
    If you think that doesn't help, integrate wrt u first, making sure you get the limits right. They depend on v.

12. Jan 10, 2016 #11
    That change of variable makes sense when I look on it on a graph, thanks. Now for my bounds I get, 1≤v≤2 and -v≤u≤v . I worked out the integral to just become sin(v). Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted