Why Is the Change of Variable Theorem for Simple Integrals So Complicated?

In summary, the conversation is about the complexity of the change of variable theorem in simple integrals. One person points out that it is formulated in terms of a function of a variable t and compares it to the faster substitution method. Another person explains that it is a generalization and that sometimes the reverse formula is more convenient. They also mention using an implicit relation to simplify the integral. The conversation ends with a joke about reading too many calculus books.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There's this thing I've always wondered about but never really found the answer. However, I'm sure it's obvious to many of you. It goes as follow: How come the change of variable theorem (for simple integrals) is so complicated but the fact is that it never fails to say "let's set u =... Then, du = ...", which is not at all what the change of variable theorem is saying imho.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm not understanding you, do you mean the substitution rule?

[tex]\int_{\varphi \left( \alpha \right)}^{\varphi \left( \beta \right)} {f\left( x \right)dx} = \int_\alpha ^\beta {f\left( {\varphi \left( t \right)} \right)\varphi '\left( t \right)dt}[/tex]

Yeah, that's totally what I'm talking about. Why is it formulated in terms of function phi of a variable t? For exemple, compare the two following ways of changing variables for this integral:

[tex]\int_a^b e^{k(x-2)}dx[/tex]

The "fast-substitution" way everyone use:

Set t = x - 2. then by definition of differential of a function of one variable, dt = (dt/dx)dx = (1)dx = dx. The bounds transform like so: x = a --> t = a-2, x = b --> t = b - 2. Hence, plugging all these substitutions in the original integral yields

[tex]\int_a^b e^{k(x-2)}dx = \int_{a-2}^{b-2} e^{kt}dt[/tex]

The "rigourous-substitution" way goes:

Set [itex]\varphi (t) = t + 2[/itex]. Then [itex]\varphi '(t) = 1[/tex]. [itex]\varphi (t_1) = a \Leftrightarrow t_1 + 2 = a \Leftrightarrow t_1 = a - 2[/itex]. [itex]\varphi (t_2) = b \Leftrightarrow t_2 + 2 = b \Leftrightarrow t_2 = b - 2[/itex]. So now according to the change of variable theorem,

[tex]\int_a^b e^{k(x-2)}dx = \int_{a-2}^{b-2} e^{k(\varphi(t)-2)}(1)dt = \int_{a-2}^{b-2} e^{k(t)}dt [/tex]

It's so much complicated. SO why is it formulated in this complicated way rather than in the simplest way, which seem to always work anyway?

I believe it is just a generalization. The second way in which you did it was practically the same as the first, you just showed all of your work.

Alex

What do you mean precisely in this case by "a generalisation", and what do you mean by "you just showed all your work"? It seems to me I did all the steps for both ways only the "rigourous way" has naturally more steps then the "usual way".

The statement you're using of the change of variable theorem is the one that looks most like a direct application of the chain rule.

I.E. it's more natural to apply the transformation df(x) → f'(x) dx than it is to transform f'(x) dx → df(x)

But, I seem to remember at least one calculus text that stated the reverse formula as a corollary.

As to how people actually do the integral by hand, the forward direction would be written as the substitution x = t + 2, and worked from there.

Sometimes, the forward direction is most convenient. For example, when integrating √(1-x²), the most natural thing to do is say x = sin u. Sometimes the reverse direction is more convenient, as you've observed.

Sometimes, it's most convenient to do it neither way -- I've had situations where using an implicit relation, like t² = x² + 2, gives the simplest integrand.

Wow that clears some things up!

P.S. Is there a calculus book you've not read Hurkyl? :tongue:

P.S. Is there a calculus book you've not read Hurkyl?
I've read all but ε of them for some ε > 0...

Yep, that's definitely too much of them... :devil:

Fortunately calculus books have the property of all containing exactly the same thing!

most of the calculus book contain the same example i have read a few.

1. What is the Change of Variable Theorem?

The Change of Variable Theorem, also known as the Substitution Rule, is a fundamental theorem in calculus that allows for the integration of functions with variables that can be transformed into a simpler form.

2. How does the Change of Variable Theorem work?

The theorem states that if a function f(x) is continuous on an interval [a,b] and g is a differentiable function, then the integral of f over [a,b] can be rewritten as the integral of f(g(u)) multiplied by g'(u) over the interval [g(a),g(b)].

3. What are the benefits of using the Change of Variable Theorem?

The Change of Variable Theorem is a powerful tool for solving integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It can also help simplify integrals and make them more manageable.

4. Are there any limitations to the Change of Variable Theorem?

The Change of Variable Theorem can only be applied to integrals with a single variable. It also requires the substitution to be a one-to-one function and must have a continuous derivative.

5. How is the Change of Variable Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Change of Variable Theorem is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve integrals that arise in real-world problems. It is also used in statistics and probability to transform and simplify probability distributions.