1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of Variable

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Change of Variable

In case of the triangular area with vertices: (-1 1) (0 0) and (1 1), how would you do a change of variable to make that look like a square or rectangular region in terms of u an v?

x = (1/2)(u+v) y = (1/2)(u-v)

u = x+y v = x-y
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No (continuous) change of variable will make a 3 sided region into a 4 sided region!
  4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    oh. well what i did was to do the change of variable and then do the intervals as if i had a whole quadrilateral region and then i halved the answer. It seems to be right but i am not sure however.
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Choosing u= x+y, v= x- y as coordinates will make two sides of the triangle, y= -x and y= x correspond to u= 0 and v= 0 respectively. The third side of the triangle, y= 1, becomes u+ v= 2.

I have no idea what you mean by "intervals" or what answer you "halved". Apparently this was part of a larger problem you haven't mentioned.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?