Calc Change of Var: Non-Graphical Limits of Integration

In summary, when changing variables in a double integral, it is helpful to draw a graph, but if a specific example is provided, algebra can be used to find the new limits of integration. In general, the limits of the "inner integral" will depend on the other variable, while only the limits of the "outer integral" will be constants. The process for finding the new limits will vary depending on the specific geometry of the situation.
Krypton
How to calculate, non-graphically, the new limits of integration when change of variables r done to a double integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krypton said:
How to calculate, non-graphically, the new limits of integration when change of variables r done to a double integral?
Perhaps if you posted a specific example, we could help you out?

Plz wait 4 a day., its midnight in INDIA n ma brain had almost slept. I 'ill b vhappy if u could solv ma prob... Thanks in advance!

Wow...what kind of english do they learn in India?

To answer the question, it always helps to draw a graph but if you post a specific example we'll show you how to use some algebra to find the new limits.

"inte[x=a to b] [y=c to d] f(x,y) dxdy = inte[r=sqrt(a^2+c^2) to r =sqrt(b^2+d^2)] [ß=arctan(c/a) to arctan(d/b)] f(rcosß,rsinß) rdrdß "
is this expression currect ?

Edit: I see that I was mistaken.

Last edited:
[tex]\int_{x=a}^b\int_{y= c^d} f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]
[tex]\int_{r=\sqrt{a^2+ c^2}}^{\sqrt{b^2+ d^2}}\int_{\theta= arctan(c/a)}^{arctan(d/b)} f(rcos(\theta}, rsin(\theta)) r dr d\theta[/tex]

No those are not the same. The first is over a rectangle in the plane while the second is over a portion of an annulus- that is, over the region between two circles bounded by two angles. Those will always be what you get if your limits of integration in rectangular and polar coordinates are all constants.

In general, the limits of integration for the "inside" integral will depend on the other variable. If you really had to put that first integral into polar coordinates (not a good idea because of the lack of symmetry) you would probably do best to break it into four areas: draw lines from the origin to the four vertices and do a separate integral on each of those areas in order to avoid the "discontinuity" at the corners. For example, the first integral might be with [itex]\theta[/itex] between arctan(c/b) and arctan(c/a) to get the region between those two lower vertices (I am assuming that d-c> b- a. Otherwise you will "hit" the vertex (b,d) before (a,c).) Now on each line between those, r must go from the lower line, y= c, to the vertical line x= b. In polar coordinates, that is [itex]r sin(\theta)= c[/itex] to [itex]r cos(\theta)= b[/itex]. That means that r varies from [itex]c/sin(\theta)[/itex] to [itex]b/cos(\theta)[/itex].
The first of the four integrals would be
[tex]\int_{\theta= arctan(d/b)}^{arctan(c/a)}\int_{r= c/sin(\theta)}^{b/cos(\theta)}f(r cos(\theta),r sin(\theta)) r dr d\theta[/tex]

How you change a double integral from one set of coordinates to another depends very strongly on the specific geometry of the situation.

Thanx ! , both u geniees ...

Plz show me how u arrived at the new limits '' "

Krypton said:
Plz show me how u arrived at the new limits '' "
I DID:
HallsofIvy said:
integral might be with [itex]\theta[/itex] between arctan(c/b) and arctan(c/a) to get the region between those two lower vertices (I am assuming that d-c> b- a. Otherwise you will "hit" the vertex (b,d) before (a,c).)
Those values are the angle of the straight line from the origin to each of the two points (b,c), (a,c).

Now on each line between those, r must go from the lower line, y= c, to the vertical line x= b. In polar coordinates, that is [itex]r sin(\theta)= c[/itex] to [itex]r cos(\theta)= b[/itex]. That means that r varies from [itex]c/sin(\theta)[/itex] to [itex]b/cos(\theta)[/itex].

If r varies frm c/sinß to b/cosß ,
what are the values of ß in both the cases ?

It is a variable. I said before that taking constants for all limits of integration will give only very limited areas- in the case of polar coordinates it would be a part of an annulus. For more general areas- and in polar coordinates a rectangle is a "general area", only the limits of the "outer integral" must be constants. The limits of integration of the "inner integrals" may be functions of the variiables that still remain.

What is a change of variable in calculus?

A change of variable in calculus refers to the process of substituting one variable with another variable in an integral or a differential equation. This technique can help simplify integrals and make them easier to solve.

Why is a change of variable useful in calculus?

A change of variable can help simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also help in finding the area under curves and in solving differential equations. In some cases, a change of variable can also help in evaluating integrals that are otherwise impossible to solve.

What are non-graphical limits of integration?

Non-graphical limits of integration refer to the use of algebraic functions to define the boundaries of integration instead of graphical representations. This is often done when the function being integrated is difficult to graph or when the boundaries of integration are not easily represented visually.

How do you determine the new limits of integration after a change of variable?

After a change of variable, the new limits of integration are determined by substituting the original limits into the new variable. This may involve solving for the new variable in terms of the original variable and then plugging in the original limits. It is important to also consider any changes in the direction of integration that may occur after the substitution.

What are some common substitution techniques used in change of variable?

Some common substitution techniques used in change of variable include u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and hyperbolic substitution. These techniques involve substituting a variable with a function or expression that will simplify the integral. The choice of substitution depends on the form of the integral and the desired outcome.