Integrating a Rhombus: Solving for Area Using the Change of Variables Formula

In summary: You might have an easier time if you write the x values varying between 0 and 4, then write the line equations as y = ...
Bestphysics112

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-14_19-54-56.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a. I got an answer of 140. For part b, however, I am stuck. I came up with a set of points for D in the xy plane [(0,3)(0,6)(4,5)(4,8)] giving me a rhombus. How do i integrate this? I tried to split up the rhombus into two triangles and I still did not get the same answer as a. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mapping of ##D## onto ##D^{*}## is a diffeomorphism and hence preserves the boundary and interior. So you need only calculate the action of the diffeomorphism on the boundary of ##D^*##. To calculate the integral just use Fubini's theorem in combination with the change of variables theorem.

JonnyG said:
Your mapping of ##D## onto ##D^{*}## is a diffeomorphism and hence preserves the boundary and interior. So you need only calculate the action of the diffeomorphism on the boundary of ##D^*##. To calculate the integral just use Fubini's theorem in combination with the change of variables theorem.
Why would I use the change of variables theorem to compute an integral in the xy plane? Sorry if this sounded too demanding but I've been staring at this problem for quite some time now.

Sorry, I didn't see the part that said evaluate directly. But can you show me your work? Make sure you set up your limits of integration carefully.

JonnyG said:
Sorry, I didn't see the part that said evaluate directly. But can you show me your work? Make sure you set up your limits of integration carefully.
No problem man! I initially tried setting the points I found as the limits of integration but then realized that I couldn't do that. After I plotted the points I found I saw that they formed a rhombus. So I found an equation for x in terms of y and set it up as follows: ##\intop\nolimits_{3}^{8} \intop\nolimits_{0}^{2y-6} xy dx dy##.

I Evaluated this and I got an answer of 562.5. This is not the same as the answer I obtained using the change of variables formula. What am i doing wrong?

Those aren't the correct limits of integration. Look at your parallelogram. x goes from what to what? That should be simple. Now look at the y. It is bounded between two straight lines. What's the equation of those two straight lines?

Bestphysics112 said:
No problem man! I initially tried setting the points I found as the limits of integration but then realized that I couldn't do that. After I plotted the points I found I saw that they formed a rhombus. So I found an equation for x in terms of y and set it up as follows: ##\intop\nolimits_{3}^{8} \intop\nolimits_{0}^{2y-6} xy dx dy##
. I Evaluated this and
JonnyG said:
Those aren't the correct limits of integration. Look at your parallelogram. x goes from what to what? That should be simple. Now look at the y. It is bounded between two straight lines. What's the equation of those two straight lines?

x = 2y-6 and x = 2y - 12 ?

You might have an easier time if you write the x values varying between 0 and 4, then write the line equations as y = ...

JonnyG said:
You might have an easier time if you write the x values varying between 0 and 4, then write the line equations as y = ...
I got the answer! Thank you!.

However, If i wanted to solve it with the integral in dxdy, would i need to use two integrals?

1. What is the Change of Variables formula?

The Change of Variables formula is a mathematical tool used to simplify integrals by changing the variables of the function being integrated. It is also known as the substitution rule or u-substitution.

2. When should I use the Change of Variables formula?

The Change of Variables formula should be used when the integrand of an integral is a complex function and cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. It can also be helpful when trying to evaluate definite integrals with limits that involve complicated functions.

3. How does the Change of Variables formula work?

The formula works by substituting a new variable in place of the existing variable in the integrand. This new variable is often denoted as u and is related to the original variable by a function u = g(x). The integral is then rewritten in terms of u and can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Change of Variables formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Change of Variables formula. It can only be used for single variable integrals and the function being integrated must be continuous and differentiable. Additionally, the substitution function g(x) must also be continuous and differentiable.

5. Can the Change of Variables formula be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the Change of Variables formula can be used for definite integrals. After substituting the new variable, the limits of integration also need to be adjusted accordingly. This can be done by substituting the original limits into the new variable function u = g(x) to find the new limits of integration.