1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables (i don,t understand)

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    let be the integral:

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx [/tex]

i make the change of variable xy=u y=v whose Jacobian is 1/v but then what would be the new limits?...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v is y, so u = xv, and x can never be less than 1. What does that tell you about the possible values of u for any given v?

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3
    could you write the new limits...i can,t work it out the new values of v for v gives me (-8,8) (here 8 means infinite but for u i got... (0,8) is that true?..what would happen if y choose the change of variable x/y=u y=v? thanx

5. Jul 18, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From your original integral

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx [/tex]

you have y ranging over all reals and x ranging from +1 to infinity. With v = y, v will range over all reals and with u = xy = xv, u will range from -infinity to v when v is negative and from v to infinity when v is positive. Looks like that gives you

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{v}g(u,v)dudv + \int_{0}^{\infty}\int_v^{\infty}g(u,v)dudv [/tex]

g(u,v) includes the contribution from f(x,y) and the Jacobian, and you need to be careful with the signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?