Verify Change of Variables for System of Equations w/ Constant Coefficients

In summary, by using the suggested substitution and manipulating the equations, it is shown that the equations for $\mathbf{u}$ become a system with constant coefficients. Multiplying both sides of the equation on the left by the inverse of the matrix multiplying $\dot{\mathbf{u}}$ results in an equation of the desired form $\dot{\mathbf{u}} = \ldots$.
Dustinsfl
For the system of equations
$$
\mathbf{x}' = \begin{pmatrix}
a\cos 2t & a\sin 2t\\
a\sin 2t & -a\cos 2t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{x},
$$
verify that under the change of variables:
$$
\mathbf{x} = \begin{pmatrix}
\cos 2t & \sin 2t\\
\sin 2t & -\cos 2t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u},
$$
the equations for $u$ become a system with constant coefficients:
$$
\mathbf{u}' = \begin{pmatrix}
a & 1\\
-1 & -a
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}.
$$Here is what I have
$$
\left[\begin{pmatrix}
\cos 2t & \sin 2t\\
\sin 2t & -\cos 2t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}\right]' = \begin{pmatrix} a & 0\\ 0 & a\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}
$$

What do I do about that left side? I don't see how I will get
$$
\mathbf{u}' = \begin{pmatrix}
a & 1\\
-1 & -a
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Using the equation for $\mathbf{x}$ as a function of $\mathbf{u}$, we get
$$\dot{\mathbf{x}}=2\begin{bmatrix}- \sin(2t) & \cos(2t)\\ \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}+\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\dot{\mathbf{u}}.$$
But we also have that
$$\dot{\mathbf{x}}=\begin{bmatrix} a \cos(2t) & a \sin(2t)\\ a \sin(2t) &- a \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{x}=a \begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix} \mathbf{x}=a\mathbf{u}.$$
So equating our two expressions for $\dot{\mathbf{x}}$ yields
$$2\begin{bmatrix}- \sin(2t) & \cos(2t)\\ \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}+\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\dot{\mathbf{u}}=a\mathbf{u},$$
or
$$\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\dot{\mathbf{u}}=a\mathbf{u}+2\begin{bmatrix} \sin(2t) & - \cos(2t)\\ - \cos(2t) & - \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}
=a \begin{bmatrix}1 &0\\0&1\end{bmatrix} \mathbf{u}+2\begin{bmatrix} \sin(2t) & - \cos(2t)\\ - \cos(2t) & - \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}$$
$$=\begin{bmatrix}a+2 \sin(2t) &-2 \cos(2t)\\ -2 \cos(2t) &a-2 \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix} \mathbf{u}.$$
Now, let's see if we can invert the matrix on the LHS with a left-multiplication:
$$\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0\\ 0 &1\end{bmatrix},$$
as needed. So now we get
$$\dot{\mathbf{u}}=\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) & \sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) &- \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a+2 \sin(2t) &-2 \cos(2t)\\ -2 \cos(2t) &a-2 \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix} \mathbf{u}$$
$$=\begin{bmatrix}a \cos(2t)+2 \cos(2t) \sin(2t) -2 \cos(2t) \sin(2t) & -2 \cos^{2}(2t) +a \sin(2t)-2 \sin^{2}(2t)\\
a \sin(2t)+2 \sin^{2}(2t)+2 \cos^{2}(2t) &-2 \cos(2t) \sin(2t) -a \cos(2t) +2 \cos(2t) \sin(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}$$
$$=\begin{bmatrix}a \cos(2t)& a \sin(2t)-2\\
a \sin(2t)+2 &-a \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}.$$

Unless I've made a mistake somewhere, this does not reduce to what you need. Are you sure you've stated the problem exactly correctly? Even one sign error could drastically change the result.

There was a typo:
$$
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}
$$

But now I have
$$
a\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & \sin t\\
\sin t & -\cos 3t
\end{pmatrix}u =
\begin{pmatrix} -\sin t & -\cos t\\
\cos t & -\sin t
\end{pmatrix}u+
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\dot{u}
$$

dwsmith said:
There was a typo:
$$
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}
$$

But now I have
$$
a\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & \sin t\\
\sin t & -\cos 3t
\end{pmatrix}u =
\cos t & -\sin t
\end{pmatrix}u+
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\dot{u}
$$

Couple comments:

1. I don't think you should have a $3$ in the argument of one of your trig functions.
2. Multiply the whole equation on the left by the inverse of the matrix multiplying the $\dot{\mathbf{u}}$ and see if something nice doesn't happen.
3. Just to be clear, what is the original DE, and what is the suggested substitution?

Ackbach said:
Couple comments:

1. I don't think you should have a $3$ in the argument of one of your trig functions.
2. Multiply the whole equation on the left by the inverse of the matrix multiplying the $\dot{\mathbf{u}}$ and see if something nice doesn't happen.
3. Just to be clear, what is the original DE, and what is the suggested substitution?

The original is in the first post. I have a by following the trig identities.

dwsmith said:
There was a typo:
$$
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}
$$

But now I have
$$
a\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & \sin t\\
\sin t & -\cos 3t
\end{pmatrix}u =
\cos t & -\sin t
\end{pmatrix}u+
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\dot{u}
$$
Not wanting to get too personal about this, but some people seem to make typos and/or careless arithmetic mistakes practically every time they write something. In mathematics it's really essential to check everything carefully. And if things look like they are going in the wrong direction, go back and double-check all the previous work.

The equation $
a\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & \sin t\\
\sin t & -\cos 3t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u} =
\cos t & -\sin t
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}+
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos t & -\sin t\\
\sin t & \cos t
\end{pmatrix}\dot{\mathbf{u}}
$ shows that you are heading in exactly the right direction to solve this problem. But the 3 in that first matrix looks really out of place. So go back and double-check every calculation that led to that matrix. (The 3 is not the only thing wrong in that matrix. I think that there are also some wrong signs in some of the other entries.) When you have done that, write the equation in the form $$ \begin{pmatrix}\cos t & -\sin t \\ \sin t & \cos t \end{pmatrix}\dot{\mathbf{u}} = a\begin{pmatrix}? & ? \\ ? & ? \end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u} - \begin{pmatrix} -\sin t & -\cos t \\ \cos t & -\sin t \end{pmatrix}\mathbf{u}.$$ Then you can see why Ackbach's hint 2 is so helpful: if you multiply both sides of the equation on the left by the inverse of $ \begin{pmatrix}\cos t & -\sin t \\ \sin t & \cos t \end{pmatrix}$, you will get an equation starting $\dot{\mathbf{u}} = \ldots$, which is exactly what you want.

The substitution
$$\mathbf{x}=\begin{bmatrix} \cos(2t) &-\sin(2t)\\ \sin(2t) & \cos(2t)\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}$$
renders the original DE in the OP equivalent to
$$\dot{\mathbf{u}}=\begin{bmatrix} a &2\\ -2 &-a\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{u}.$$
Use the procedure I have outlined above.

What is a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients?

A change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients is a mathematical technique used to simplify or transform a system of equations into a more manageable form. This is done by replacing the original variables with new variables, which can make it easier to solve the system of equations.

Why is it necessary to verify a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients?

Verifying a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients is necessary because it ensures that the new variables are valid and that the resulting equations are equivalent to the original ones. This is important because any errors in the change of variables can lead to incorrect solutions.

What are some common mistakes when verifying a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients?

Some common mistakes when verifying a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients include forgetting to substitute the original variables back into the equations or making errors in the algebraic manipulations. It is also important to check that the new variables are independent and that the resulting equations are equivalent to the original ones.

What are some tips for verifying a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients?

Some tips for verifying a change of variables for a system of equations with constant coefficients include double-checking all of the algebraic steps, making sure the new variables are independent, and substituting the new variables back into the original equations to ensure they are equivalent. It can also be helpful to work through some practice problems to become more familiar with the process.

Can a change of variables be used for any system of equations with constant coefficients?

Yes, a change of variables can be used for any system of equations with constant coefficients. However, it is important to choose the new variables carefully so that they simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. In some cases, it may not be necessary or beneficial to use a change of variables, so it is important to assess each situation individually.