1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    Let R be the elliptical regin in the first quadrant by x^2/3^2+y^2/2^2=1. x=3u, y=2v, evaluate the area of R.

How do I setup the double integral? By this I mean what do I put in for f(g(u,v),h(u,v))jacobian dudv?

I know the bounds of u and v and the Jacobian but I not sure what to do for g and h. Would that be just pluging 3u and 2v into x^2 and y^2, respectively? But what happens to the 1 in the eqaution?

So by solving the (u,v) cordinates, one comes up with (0,0); (1,0); and (0,1).
    The Jacobian is 6.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you substitute your u's and v's for the x's and y's of the equation, for your region A in the xy plane you get a new region B in the uv plane. The point of the substitution is that instead of integrating

[tex]Area = \int \int_A 1\ dydx[/tex]

over the region A in the xy plane, which is "ugly", you can instead calculate

[tex]Area = \int \int_B 1 J\ dudv[/tex]

using u-v limits in the uv plane. If your new region B is nice, you may easily work out the new integral, or even avoid working it at all.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    So the integral is just 0<=u<=1 and 0<=v<=-u+1 dvdu with no equation in the the integral?

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You need to draw a graph of your uv equation in the uv plane and use it to figure out correct limits.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    The drawing is a triangle and those are the bounds. I am not concerned about them. I am trying to figure out what f(g(u,v),h(u,v)) are inside the integrals. Is it 1? Is it u+v not considering the 1 or is it u+v-1?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. Nov 14, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you trying to tell me that when you substitute x=3u, y=2v into the equation:

[tex]\frac {x^2}{3^2}+\frac {y^2}{2^2}=1[/tex]

that the graph you get in the uv plane is a triangle???

Your integrand, once you figure out the proper area, will be 1 times the Jacobian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook