Image of Set S Under Transformation | u^2 + v^2 <= 1

This would give me a new inequality in terms of x and y, which would be the image of S under the given transformation. In summary, the image of the set S under the given transformation is the circle with radius 1 centered at the origin.
magnifik
find the image of the set S under the given transformation: S is the disk given by u^2 + v^2 <= 1 where x=au, y=bv

since it is a circle i have that the boundaries are [-1,1] x [-1.1] so for my equations i got
x = au, y = -b
x = a, y = bv
x = au, y = b
x = -a, y = bv

i don't know what the next step would be in trying to draw that

Physics news on Phys.org
If x = au and y = bv, then u = x/a and v = y/b. I would replace u and v by x/a and y/b, respectively, in the given inequality.

1. What is the definition of "Image of Set S Under Transformation | u^2 + v^2 <= 1"?

The "Image of Set S Under Transformation | u^2 + v^2 <= 1" refers to the set of all points that result from applying a transformation to a given set S, where the transformation is defined by the equation u^2 + v^2 <= 1. This means that the points in the image set will satisfy the condition that their squared u and v coordinates sum to a value less than or equal to 1.

2. What is the purpose of this transformation?

The purpose of this transformation is to map the points in a given set S onto a new set of points that satisfy the condition u^2 + v^2 <= 1. This can be useful in visualizing and analyzing geometric shapes, as well as in solving mathematical problems.

3. What type of transformation is being applied in this equation?

This equation represents a transformation in the Cartesian coordinate system, specifically a transformation of points in the u-v plane. It is a type of transformation known as a "circle inversion", where the points inside the unit circle (u^2 + v^2 = 1) are mapped outside the circle, and vice versa.

4. Can this transformation be applied to any set S?

Yes, this transformation can be applied to any set of points in the u-v plane. However, the resulting image set will vary depending on the specific points in the original set S and the equation used for the transformation.

5. How does this transformation affect the shape of the original set S?

The shape of the original set S will be transformed into a different shape in the image set, as determined by the equation u^2 + v^2 <= 1. This can result in stretching, shrinking, rotating, and/or reflecting the original shape, depending on the values of u and v for each point in S.