Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of Variables

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Hi there

I am given xi=x/s(t) and T=h(t)F(xi,t) and I need to tranform deltaT/deltat. How do I do it? Do I use the chain rule? The answer to it is : s*(dh/dt)*F+s*h*(deltaF/deltat)-xi*(ds/dt)*h*(deltaF/deltaxi) but I don't know how to get this answer. Please help me. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

What's delta T / delta t? Is this from discreet math?

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Sorry it's [itex]\deltaT[/itex] /[itex]\deltat[/itex]

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    Hi It's the greek letter delta. I want to tranform (delta T)/(delta t)

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    I have to solve a heat equation but first I must change the variables.

7. Aug 31, 2011 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I think pwsnafu is asking whether [itex] \frac{ \delta T}{\delta t} [/itex] means the derivative of T with respect to t.

8. Aug 31, 2011 #7

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Yeah. I've never seen lower case delta used in that way before. Do you mean partial derivative?

9. Aug 31, 2011 #8
    Yes it is

10. Aug 31, 2011 #9
    How do you do the change of variable when xi=x-s(t)/1-s(t) and T=(1-s(t))*F(xi,t). I want to transform partial derivative of T with respect to t.

11. Aug 31, 2011 #10
    That's really messy . . . Candy. Looks like you have a chained list of variables:

[tex]\Xi(x,s)=\frac{x}{s}[/tex]

[tex]s=s(t)[/tex]

[tex]T(h,F)=h(t)F(\Xi,t)[/tex]

and you want to compute:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex]

so by the general chain-rule:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=h(t)\frac{\partial}{\partial t} F(\Xi,t)+F\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} F(\Xi,t)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial \Xi}\frac{\partial \Xi}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}[/tex]

anyway, doing all that and simplifying, I still don't get exactly what you posted as the answer (close though) so maybe I'm missing something. Maybe though you can clean it up for me.

12. Aug 31, 2011 #11
    The equation have to transform is d^2T/dx^2=dT/dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook