Change of weight with faster Earth rotation.

In summary, the question is asking for the length of one "day" on Earth given the mass and radius of the Earth, and the fact that the Earth's rotation causes a bathroom scale to read 0 weight. The solution involves using the equation for centripetal force and the equation for weight to calculate the velocity of the Earth's rotation, which can then be used to find the length of one day using the equation d/v=t. The normal centripetal force of the Earth may also need to be factored in for a more accurate answer.
tkninetyfive

Homework Statement

m=55kg
r=6400km
The Earth's rotation increases so on a bathroom scale, it now reads that you weight 0.
how long is 1 "day" on Earth?

Homework Equations

I keep trying to figure this one out, but with different ways I've tried, I put Fg as 0 and it basically negates my whole equation. The section in the course we are on right now is Centrapetal force and gravitation.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the one "answer" I've gotten but it seems a little too easy.

fnet=ma
fc=mac
fc=mv2/r
mg=mv2/r
g=v2/r
√rg=v

plug in the radius in metres, 9.8 for g to get v, and then solve with 2∏r/v which is the same a d/v=t.

any help? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite right.

Initial weight = mg = 55*9.81 Newtons
Centripetal force = mv^2/r.

Since the weight is balanced exactly by this force, we must have
mg =mv^2/r ,which gives v.

tkninetyfive said:
I keep trying to figure this one out, but with different ways I've tried, I put Fg as 0 and it basically negates my whole equation. The section in the course we are on right now is Centrapetal force and gravitation.

The reason you can't do [itex] F_{g} = 0 [/itex] is because it isn't 0. What you want is [itex] F_{net} = 0 = F_{g} - F{c} \Rightarrow F_{g} = F_{c} [/itex]

It looks like this is what you ended up doing, and I don't see any problems with your attempt. I don't think it was meant to be a hugely difficult problem.

Edit: To be completely accurate, the normal centripetal force of the Earth supplies about 2 Newtons (or so, depending on your mass) of upward force, so to be completely accurate you could show how to find this "usual" centripetal force, and then factor that in. Since a normal person weighs somewhere in the 600-ish Newton range though, it should only make a small difference in your answer.

Last edited:

1. How does Earth's rotation affect weight?

Earth's rotation affects weight by creating a centrifugal force that pushes objects outward. This force is strongest at the equator, causing objects to weigh slightly less there compared to the poles.

2. Does a faster Earth rotation mean I will weigh less?

Yes, a faster Earth rotation would result in a slightly lower weight due to the increased centrifugal force at the equator. However, the change in weight would be very small and not noticeable for most people.

3. Can the change in weight with faster Earth rotation be measured?

Yes, the change in weight with faster Earth rotation can be measured with very precise instruments. However, the change would be very small and not significant for most everyday objects or activities.

4. Will the change in weight affect the Earth's overall mass?

No, the change in weight due to faster Earth rotation does not affect the Earth's overall mass. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

5. Are there any other factors that affect weight besides Earth's rotation?

Yes, weight can also be affected by altitude, as well as the gravitational pull of nearby objects such as the moon or other planets. Additionally, weight can be affected by factors such as air resistance and buoyancy in certain environments.