Proving Change in Volume V(t) of Sphere in Free Fall

In summary, the equation states that the volume of a sphere in free fall is V (t) - V (0), where V (0) is the initial volume.
victorneto
Somebody knows as to prove the expression below? (V (t) is the volume of a sphere in free fall, following a geodesic one).

(delta V(t)/ V(t) = -(1/2) (d^2 V / dt^2) (delta t)^2

delta= [Tex]\delta[/Tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, victorneto -- welcome to PF!

To make your LaTeX code get rendered properly, you need to surround it with itex tags. To see how it's done, click on the Quote button for this post, where I've marked up your equation: [itex]\Delta V/V = -(1/2)(d^2 V/dt^2)\Delta t^2[/itex]

First off, the equation is incorrect as written. The left-hand side is unitless, but the right-hand side has units of volume. It should be like this: [itex]\Delta V = -(1/2)(d^2 V/dt^2)\Delta t^2[/itex]

The way to prove this is by starting from [itex]d^2 V/dt^2=constant[/itex] and integrating twice. The first constant of integration is gotten rid of by using [itex]\Delta V=V-V_o[/itex]. The second constant of integration is presumably zero because of the initial conditions. It's exactly equivalent to motion of a particle in one dimension with constant acceleration.

Very grateful for the return.

It forgives me, it had error of digitação, it lacked to the V in the denominator of segund member:

[tex]\delta[/tex]V/V=(-1/2){(d2V/dt2)/V}(\delta t)2

Not yet I learned to use its tags. The digitação above was optimum that I could make, so far. I will continue studying this system, new for me.

Found the expression above in the study that I am making of an article of John C.Baez And Emory F.Bunn, " The Meaning of Einstein´s Equation" , pg. 9. (arXiv: gr.-qc/0103044v5 5 Jan 2006) Is about a very good work.

It forgives me the English. It is that I am Brazilian, engineer and self-taught person in RG.

In time:
The correct expression is the following one, without the signal (-).
Grateful

[itex]\delta[/itex]V/V=(1/2)[(d2V/dt2)/V ](\delta t)2

Hi Victorneto,

click one of the equations below and wait. Eventually a small window pops up with the code for the equation. Copy and paste this equation (including the tex tags at each end in red) into your post. Edit as desired. Follow the link in the pop up for more information about formating tex codes.

[itex]\delta V/V = (1/2)[(d^2 V/dt^2)/V](\delta t)^2[/itex]

[tex]\frac{\Delta V}{V} = \frac{1}{2V}\frac{d^2 V}{dt^2}(\Delta t)^2[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]
\frac{\Delta V}{V} = \frac{1}{2V}\frac{d^2 V}{dt^2}(\Delta t)^2
[/tex]

Did my #2 answer your question?

Dears,

Finally I found the way to prove the veracity of the equation below:

[tex]

\frac{\Delta V}{V} = \frac{1}{2V}\frac{d^2 V}{dt^2}(\Delta t)^2

[/tex]

V=V (t).

Thus, it follows the steps:
1 - It makes an expansion of Taylor, preserving the values until second order;
2- delta V = V (t) - V (0), although the acceleration it is not (as a body in the surface of the land: deltaV(t)=0, but g=10 m/s² !;
3 - dV (t) /dt in t-0 is zero;
4- now, divides the two sides for V.
Note.: V (t) is the volume of of mass M in free fall, following a geodesic one.

1. How does the volume of a sphere change when it is in free fall?

The volume of a sphere in free fall does not change. This is because the volume of a sphere is determined by its radius, which remains constant regardless of its position or motion.

2. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the change in volume of a sphere in free fall?

No, there is no specific formula to calculate the change in volume of a sphere in free fall. However, the volume of a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere. This formula can be applied to any sphere, regardless of its motion.

3. How does the change in volume of a sphere in free fall affect its density?

The change in volume of a sphere in free fall does not affect its density. Density is determined by the mass and volume of an object, and in the case of a sphere in free fall, its mass and volume remain constant. Therefore, the density of the sphere remains the same.

4. Can we observe the change in volume of a sphere in free fall?

No, we cannot observe the change in volume of a sphere in free fall. This is because the change in volume is zero, as discussed earlier. However, we can observe the motion of the sphere and calculate its volume using the formula mentioned above.

5. Does air resistance affect the change in volume of a sphere in free fall?

No, air resistance does not affect the change in volume of a sphere in free fall. This is because the change in volume is determined by the motion of the sphere, and air resistance does not change the motion of the sphere significantly. However, air resistance can affect the speed and acceleration of the sphere, which can indirectly impact its volume in free fall.