Gravity and Weight Conversion

In summary, the characters in Rendezvous with Rama are at a depth of 213 meters into the ship where the gravity is very small. They weigh 10 kg in this gravity, which is equivalent to 10 times the Earth's surface gravity. To calculate the acceleration due to gravity in this unknown gravity, you can use the formula w=ma, where w is weight in Newtons, m is mass in kg, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.
Mecia22
dss

Homework Statement

In Rendezvous with Rama, they are on rung 700, so about 213 m down into the ship. The gravity is very small. It says that they weigh 10 kg in that gravity. So what gravity are they in?

Homework Equations

I know I use w=ma, but how do I get the 10 kg into N? I guessed that an average male weighs 72.5 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing 10=72.5a
a=.13

But I know that weight needs to be in N, but I'm confusing myself as to how to do that in an unknown gravity.

Edit: post restored after being deleted by OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When it says they weigh 10kg, it means that the force of gravity on them is the same as for a 10kg mass in Earth's surface gravity, i.e. 10g N.

So you're saying I'd do:
10kg * 10 (gravity on Earth)=72.5a ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Mecia22 said:
So you're saying I'd do:
10kg * 10 (gravity on Earth)=72.5a ??
Yes.

xcsfa

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to "change weight to a force"?

Changing weight to a force means converting the measurement of an object's weight, typically given in units of mass (such as kilograms or pounds), into a force measurement, typically given in units of newtons or pounds-force. This conversion takes into account the acceleration due to gravity acting on the object.

2. Why is it necessary to change weight to a force?

It may be necessary to change weight to a force in order to accurately calculate the effect of gravity on an object or to compare the weight of an object on different planets or environments. In some scientific applications, force measurements are more useful and precise than weight measurements.

3. How do you convert weight to a force?

To convert weight to a force, you can use the formula F = m x g, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The value of g varies depending on the location and can be found in a table or calculated using the equation g = G x M/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet or object the object is on, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the planet or object.

4. Is force the same as weight?

No, force and weight are not the same. Force is a physical quantity that measures the interaction between two objects, while weight is a measurement of the gravitational force acting on an object. Weight is dependent on the mass of an object and the acceleration due to gravity, while force can be exerted in various ways, such as by pushing, pulling, or gravity.

5. Can you convert any weight to a force?

Yes, any weight measurement can be converted to a force measurement by using the appropriate formula and values for mass and acceleration due to gravity. However, it is important to note that force and weight are different measurements and should not be used interchangeably in scientific calculations.