Changed my First Tire - A Computer Nerd's Triumph!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is not knowledgeable about cars but managed to change a tire by following the owner's manual. The conversation also includes jokes about changing tires and the importance of knowing basic car maintenance. One person also shares a story about breaking studs while trying to change a tire due to the military's confusing specifications for left and right-handed threads.
That's okay. I once dreamt that I could travel through time by drinking antifreeze, which of course would kill you - the antifreeze certainly would, and the time travel might as well. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I find this post most enlightening, it is sort of a survival kick up the ass ,what do you do if your auto breaks down, well if it is an engine problem sweet fanny all, because engine management systems are so complex these days one has little more than no chance to fix it,
so if you travel the wilderness make sure you do not have electronics as your beast of burden.

No kidding, Woolie! My last few Harleys were carbureted, and I have torn those carbs apart, opened up throttle pumps, rejetted, and done other performance mods, installed steeper cams and adjustable push-rods, etc. Then I went modern and bought a 2005 Softail with fuel injection. I have changed the air intake and exhaust, but the only way I can tinker the fuel now is by reprogramming the add-on controller I installed. It works pretty well, but it just ain't the same...

Danger said:
Are you talking about just popping the bead,

You ever use starting fluid and a lighter to pop it back into place? that's when the fun starts

Uh oh! We have Danger, tribdog and wollie all in one thread talking about fixing stuff...everyone, DUCK FOR COVER! IT'S GONNA BLOW!

(And I do not even want to know what they mean by "popping the bead". :uhh:)

Moonbear said:
(And I do not even want to know what they mean by "popping the bead". :uhh:)

It's kinda like pop-lock and droppin' it... only less droppin' and more poppin'.:tongue:

Ivan, are you sure you didn't wander away from NE Morning street in Corvallis as a small toddler? You sound just like a Goetzinger.

turbo-1 said:
No kidding, Woolie! My last few Harleys were carbureted, and I have torn those carbs apart, opened up throttle pumps, rejetted, and done other performance mods, installed steeper cams and adjustable push-rods, etc. Then I went modern and bought a 2005 Softail with fuel injection. I have changed the air intake and exhaust, but the only way I can tinker the fuel now is by reprogramming the add-on controller I installed. It works pretty well, but it just ain't the same...

Hah, my dad was just at a HD dealership the other day getting stuff (to rejet his bike ironically) and there was an old guy behind the service desk he got talking to. Apparently this guy ranted on and on for about an hour about how fuel injection has ruined the harley davidson motorcycle and it was only done for rich sobs that couldn't figure out how to work a choke. This guys sounded like quite a character from the sounds of things.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning I was a bit in a panic. But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!

You did watch the instructional videos before you did that, right?

This How to Change Your Tire might be more helpful. She has a How to check your tire pressure and jump start your car video, too. (Remember, it's easier to find someone to give you a jump if ... )

She should clean her battery terminals while she's at it, though.

She's great! :biggrin: She even has a video on how to wear chocolate and how to eat yellow snow!

It probably goes without saying that it's easier to change a tire when the vehicle is stationary, but not absolutely necessary (advanced tire professionals only).

Last edited:
BobG said:
This How to Change Your Tire might be more helpful.

Too bad she just put the same tire on that she had just taken off rather than the spare. :biggrin: (The spare was on a different rim.) It would have been much better if she had shown the more realistic version where someone hasn't already loosened the lug nuts for you and you have to jump up and down on the lug wrench to get them started off. I'm sure the guys would have found that addition...um...helpful...too.

I did really like the "tips" at the bottom that recommended using your insurance or auto club services whenever possible. :rofl: Yep, the easiest way to change your tire is to call the auto club. :rofl:

I change tires the easy way

Hello CAA ? I'm at the corner of ... and poof ... it gets fixed. :D

Danger said:
What is the world coming to when someone doesn't know how to change a tire before he's 6 years old? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, if you can come up the a name and address for the prick who did it, I'll teach you some other stuff that you might find satisfying.

Maybe changing a tire should be part of your driver's test before you get your license.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning I was a bit in a panic. But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!

You mean you owner's manual actual told you how? It seems that they are containing less and less information on how to "do it yourself".

Example: After my battery had died, the CD player of my my factory installed radio/CD unit player quit working (The radio worked fine). I poured through the manual (Which had a section on the unit) and found nothing that addressed the problem. By trial and error I found out that pulling one of the fuses and putting it back in (the fuse was not burned out) fixed the problem.

I guess they expected me to take it to the dealer and shell out a hundred dollars or so to have someone pull a fuse and put it back in!

scorpa said:
Hah, my dad was just at a HD dealership the other day getting stuff (to rejet his bike ironically) and there was an old guy behind the service desk he got talking to. Apparently this guy ranted on and on for about an hour about how fuel injection has ruined the harley davidson motorcycle and it was only done for rich sobs that couldn't figure out how to work a choke. This guys sounded like quite a character from the sounds of things.

Your dad should have listened to him, electronics has ruined DIY repairs, i will not buy an auto governed by transistors, the techno age is just a fad designed for dependence on the service industry.

Moonbear said:
Too bad she just put the same tire on that she had just taken off rather than the spare. :biggrin: (The spare was on a different rim.) It would have been much better if she had shown the more realistic version where someone hasn't already loosened the lug nuts for you and you have to jump up and down on the lug wrench to get them started off. I'm sure the guys would have found that addition...um...helpful...too.

I did really like the "tips" at the bottom that recommended using your insurance or auto club services whenever possible. :rofl: Yep, the easiest way to change your tire is to call the auto club. :rofl:

Yes, a four-way works much better. The lug wrenches that are supplied by the manufacturer are only good for taking the hubcap off and operating the jack.

I didn't even notice the tips at the bottom. I was busy paying attention to what Madeline was saying o:).

I want to see the video where she shows how to put gouges in the passenger side of your car while backing up!