Insertion, Deletion, & Inversion: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Nec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inversion
In summary, insertion, deletion, and inversion are all types of mutations that involve changes in the DNA sequence. An example of insertion is when a virus inserts its DNA into a host's DNA, resulting in the creation of more viruses. For codons, an example of insertion would be when a TAT codon becomes TAC. This is similar to deletion and inversion, but the specific changes in the DNA sequence differ. For more information and examples of mutations, you can refer to the websites provided.
Nec
insertion, deletion, inversion ?
Help me with examples please, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example of insertion:
A virus inserts it's DNA into a hosts DNA. Using the host, the now viral DNA will create viral parts and assemble more viruses.

I don't understand what you are talking about?

I mean examples of codons, can you give me some examples using codons ?

To be clearer on what i am asking, for example, i have got a TAT but when it becomes TAC, this is called an insertion, I think its the same as deletion, or inversion, so I am stuck at how to make a difference between them ?
Can you help me ?

Thanx

Try one of these:

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/Mutations.html
http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/disorders/mutations/mutatedna.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks HallsofIvy,

1. What is an insertion mutation?

An insertion mutation is a type of genetic mutation where an extra DNA base is added into the existing genetic sequence, resulting in a change in the genetic code. This can cause a change in the resulting protein and potentially lead to a genetic disorder.

2. How does a deletion mutation occur?

A deletion mutation is a type of genetic mutation where one or more DNA bases are removed from the genetic sequence. This can result in a shift in the reading frame and cause changes in the resulting protein, potentially leading to a genetic disorder.

3. What is an inversion mutation?

An inversion mutation is a type of genetic mutation where a segment of DNA is reversed within the genetic sequence. This can cause changes in the resulting protein and potentially lead to a genetic disorder. Unlike insertion and deletion mutations, an inversion does not result in a change in the number of DNA bases.

4. How does the step-by-step guide for insertion, deletion, and inversion work?

The step-by-step guide for insertion, deletion, and inversion involves identifying the location of the mutation, determining the type of mutation, and analyzing the effects on the resulting protein. This is done through various techniques such as DNA sequencing and protein modeling. The guide aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of how these mutations occur and their potential impacts.

5. Can insertion, deletion, or inversion mutations be corrected?

In some cases, insertion, deletion, and inversion mutations can be corrected through gene therapy or other genetic engineering techniques. However, this is still an emerging field and not all mutations can be corrected. It is important to understand the specific mutation and its potential impacts before attempting to correct it.