New Forum Changes - What Do You Think?

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
In summary, I don't like the new changes to the forum. For example, you can't tell who replied to a thread, or how many views it has etc unless you're logged in. The thumbs up I don't care for. I'd would rather see who replied and stuff. If it's to make it more mobile friendly so it doesn't take up too much space in your screen then I guess is OK. But for some reason I enjoy knowing who replied to a thread before I click on it.
tionis
Gold Member
I don't like the new changes to the forum. For example, you can't tell who replied to a thread, or how many views it has etc unless you're logged in. The thumbs up I don't care for. I'd would rather see who replied and stuff. If it's to make it more mobile friendly so it doesn't take up too much space in your screen then I guess is OK. But for some reason I enjoy knowing who replied to a thread before I click on it.

Likes epenguin
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you ever be viewing the forum and not be signed in? Just sign in and 'stay signed in'.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and davenn
It doesn't show how many replies a post has gotten. Please bring it back :cry:

Likes epenguin and Charles Link
Aniruddha@94 said:

I have no idea how this feature could be useful.

Joppy said:
I have no idea how this feature could be useful.
It's not vital, but it was nice to know.. It gave an idea about how long the thread is.

Likes Charles Link
Aniruddha@94 said:
It's not vital, but it was nice to know.. It gave an idea about how long the thread is.

xD. Come on now, give the dev's a break :p.

Aniruddha@94 said:
It does.

Likes Joppy
DrClaude said:
It does.
What?! I can't see it.. I'll attach a screenshot.
wp_ss_20160803_0002.png

The replies are shown in the desktop version but not in the mobile version.

Aniruddha@94 said:
What?! I can't see it.. I'll attach a screenshot.View attachment 104247

Maybe you should download Tapatalk. It provides most of the notifications and info you need for PF, and a lot of other forums you might use also.

The link attached is assuming you have an android device of some kind (from screenshot).

mfb said:
The replies are shown in the desktop version but not in the mobile version.
But I've been able to see them until now; on my mobile.. Dunno what changed

Joppy said:
Maybe you should download Tapatalk. It provides most of the notifications and info you need for PF, and a lot of other forums you might use also.

The link attached is assuming you have an android device of some kind (from screenshot).
I'll try that.. I'm using a Windows phone though.

Aniruddha@94 said:
But I've been able to see them until now; on my mobile.. Dunno what changed
I still need to play with some things. It was broken in mobile around midnight and I needed to get to bed. Hold tight :smile:

Likes beamie564 and ProfuselyQuarky
Greg Bernhardt said:
I still need to play with some things. It was broken in mobile around midnight and I needed to get to bed. Hold tight :smile:
Cool. I was just worried that it'll be a permanent change. Thanks :biggrin:

Aniruddha@94 said:
What?! I can't see it...
It helps to specify what platform you are using when reporting problems :smile:

Likes beamie564
I miss the page number list. It has been easier to jump into long running threads.
E.g. I tested a jump into "Japan Earthquake ...". It led me to the first unread post somewhere in the middle. A little bit inconvenient if you want to know what the actual discussion is about. And as always: "Everything has been better in the old days" or the positive version: "Never change a winning team."

fresh_42 said:
I miss the page number list. It has been easier to jump into long running threads.
Clicking the date in the last post column will take you to the last post

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Also how often do you click any page number other than the last?

DrClaude said:
It helps to specify what platform you are using when reporting problems :smile:
I'll keep that in mind :thumbup:
Ps: I use internet explorer browser in my Windows phone.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Replies are back in mobile. Can you confirm @Aniruddha@94?

Last page hover link is back
Yes! It's back. Cool :woot:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I do that sometimes. I don't have statistics how often.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Good question. To be honest, I don't know. Usually I will and therefore thanks for the hint above. On some threads I actually do, e.g. joke threads or very long threads like SUSY debates (to read the last 2 or 3 pages). Now that I know how to get to the last, last read and first post, I officially withdraw my critics.

Aniruddha@94 said:
Yes, I also liked seeing how many views a posting received.

Charles Link said:
Yes, I also liked seeing how many views a posting received.
No no.. Not views ( I still can't see those on my phone). I was talking about seeing how many replies a post gets :smile:

Aniruddha@94 said:
No no.. Not views ( I still can't see those on my phone). I was talking about seeing how many replies a post gets :smile:
On my PC I can not see the number of views. Usually, in the listing of the discussions of a section it gave the number of views. This change just occurred last night.

Likes beamie564
Charles Link said:
On my PC I can not see the number of views. Usually, in the listing of the discussions of a section it gave the number of views. This change just occurred last night.
Oh okay. I haven't used my computer in quite a while. Don't worry, it'll be back ( I think) :smile:

Likes Charles Link
Consider the following screenshot:

147030771636080?6540891975.gif

This is what you see when not logged-in. Now, I don't know about you guys, but It's my preference not to log-in unless I have something to say or I'm replying to an PM or something. Anyways, do to the current changes, there is no way to know if, for example, the ''what is a photon'' thread has received any new replies just by looking at it. It could have very well received a thousand more replies, but you wouldn't know it because all you see is the title and nothing else. This is not cool. At least let us see the name of the last poster who chimed in. Thanks.

tionis said:
= Now, I don't know about you guys, but It's my preference not to log-in unless I have something to say or I'm replying to an PM or something.

A very odd preference. Seems senseless to me.

tionis said:
Anyways, do to the current changes, there is no way to know if, for example, the ''what is a photon'' thread has received any new replies just by looking at it. It could have very well received a thousand more replies, but you wouldn't know it because all you see is the title and nothing else. This is not cool. At least let us see the name of the last poster who chimed in. Thanks.
The number of replies for the latest post has never been shown on the front page. The reason for dropping the last poster information when logged out is that for 95% of logged out (non member guests) that information is not useful and thus clutter.

Likes Joppy
Greg Bernhardt said:
The number of replies for the latest post has never been shown on the front page.

Yes, I'm aware of that. That is not what I'm asking for.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The reason for dropping the last poster information when logged out is that for 95% of logged out (non member guests) that information is not useful and thus clutter.

Was there a poll about this? I think it's rather useful to see the name of the last person replying to a thread so you don't have to keep on clicking threads just to see if there is a new reply. It would save people the trouble of having to guess whether there is something worth reading. Hey, thanks for replying BTW. I'm sorry if it appears as if I'm making demands. I know people like me just add noise, but I'm trying to remedy that by going to school.

tionis said:
Was there a poll about this?

No poll was created

tionis said:
I think it's rather useful to see the name of the last person replying to a thread so you don't have to keep on clicking threads just to see if there is a new reply. It would save people the trouble of having to guess whether there is something worth reading.

Guests don't know members or have relationships with them yet. To me all they care about is the content. Once they read the content, sign up and contribute, then they care and know about other members. When they are logged in that member information is then displayed.

tionis said:
I'm sorry if it appears as if I'm making demands. I know people like me just add noise

Feedback is never noise to me. It is absolutely vital. I appreciate your opinion and it is important to me. Sincerely.

Likes OCR, beamie564 and tionis
Greg Bernhardt said:
Feedback is never noise to me. It is absolutely vital. I appreciate your opinion and it is important to me. Sincerely.

Thanks! ''Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person they are almost indistinguishable.''

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Okay. A removed, useful feature for me was bolding the user name in a forum's thread list for new or unread threads. It made for a way to do a fast scan for threads of interest to me. Here's a screenshot.

useful.jpg

Edit: Never mind. I see that the thread title is bolded which gives the same information I was using. Thanks.

Likes Greg Bernhardt